Hello from Oregon, 89 Hawk GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Oregon, 89 Hawk GT

Just traded a rifle, some gun parts and some cash for an 89 Hawk GT. The bike has been a A-B bike for sometime and that's what I plan on using it for too. I used to ride when I was a teenager but am now 31 so, I'll be startin' easy again

Bike has a jet upgrade and other then that I don't really know what else. I'm still pouring through the online manuals etc I've found via google.

Things I need are a new seat, front blinkers (it currently doesn't have any) and to get my motorcycle endorsement haha.

I'd put pix up but it's a mad max lookin' beast
    Hawkless... Traded it back for my assault rifle.

Welcome from another noobie.... mine is an '89 also...

so far I've got almost 300 miles...!!!!

...look at the mechanical section...they have a shop manual in PDF. how cool is that.

So far what I injoy the most here...is the pics of the other menbers bikes!!! Some are so wild...

and so many new menbers!!!

tootles...

moto.
    Ride Hard....

or Ride Home Alone

Comment

Originally Posted by motopail
      ...look at the mechanical section...they have a shop manual in PDF. how cool is that.
      Whoa... Nice pointer man. Much appreciated, downloading now!!!

Comment

Welcome gen2600. A rifle, some gun stuff and some cash sounds like a pretty fair deal for an 89 Hawk.
        '88 Bros NT650J
        Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
        Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
        Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

Welcome! You are the second hawk gt owner to get the bike in trade for a gun that I know of... Doc was the first!

check out the buell directionals. Cooler than stock. There are also aftermarket ones that aren't as wonky as the big stock ones.

Have fun!
          '88 Hawk GT
          '89 Harley FXSTC
          2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

Originally Posted by motorcycleman
            Welcome! You are the second hawk gt owner to get the bike in trade for a gun that I know of... Doc was the first!

check out the buell directionals. Cooler than stock. There are also aftermarket ones that aren't as wonky as the big stock ones.

Have fun!
            Hahah, righton, guns for bikes, sounds like a government program.

Buell directionals huh? Is there a site with em cheap or is that a dealership thing? I have ZERO signals on the front and I don't know what kind (probably stock) on the rear.

Comment

I am pretty sure that is a dealership thing, but I could be wrong. There are 2 versions, short stalk and long stalk. Get the short stalk. You will also have to ask for the washer and nut as they come separate. To install, I drilled a hole in each headlight mount to fit the threaded base of the Buell blinker in. You will want to be careful where you drill as there would be a clearance issue if you drill too close to where the light bolts to the mounts. I can check when I get home if you'd like. These are just single function (blink) so you won't have them on all the time like stock ones. With that in mind there are only 2 wires coming from the Buells and not 3 like on the stock. Just plug into the appropriate male receptors and presto, powah (you'll have to check the wiring diagram to see which one is the non-stationary circuit).

Before doing all this it would be a good time to pull off the covers of the Buell's and pull out the orange lense and the bulbs that come with them. Then you can fit the orange versions of the stock Hawk bulbs in there without melting the plastic and you will have a standard blink (instead of blinkers on speed).

Feel free to ask more if you decided to go this route and have questions.

Comment

Holycow, great info!!! Thanx a ton, I think I will go this route... Now to wait for payday!

Thanx a bunch guys

Comment

BTW, here is my bike!

http://www.shutterdriven.com/gallery...serialNumber=1

...guess I can't post pix yet.

Comment

dude_one also has a colored wiring diagram in the same section has the pdf manual, that will help when you hook up the blinkers

sweet bike cbr f2 front wheel, tank, and most likly forks cant tell for sure
                    i cant make out what the can is no logo on it
                    and after market headlights

looks like a fun little toy enjoy

i tryed to post the pic for you but it wont work for me either
                    1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Very nice bike.
                      '88 Bros NT650J
                      Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
                      Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
                      Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

Originally Posted by Swipe
                        Very nice bike.
                        Thanx, I'm still trying to get enough time on it to be comfortable going through my endorsement and am putting together a little "dash" for it with the velocity speedy/etc and the stock rpm gauge.

Comment

Here we go:

Comment

Wow, Travis can make that bike look good in photos. I'm the guy that traded it off, and we swapped back last weekend. Took it for a ride and I forgot how tiny thing bike feels after riding my '07 S3 for the past 6 months.

F2 front end
                            F2 tank
                            SV vacuum pump
                            Muzzy? Slip on that's been resleeved/cored by me
                            900RR rear shock
                            Jackup plates
                            Factory 2.0 jet kit w/ Uni pods

And a few other things....
                            Tim
                            '89 HawkGT - Dirty
                            '07 S3 - WHEEEEE!

Comment

There was lots of cleaning first before the shot hahah

Comment

Working...
                              X