The Man and his Hawk: An Epic Love Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Man and his Hawk: An Epic Love Story

So here is a little (long) story of me and my Hawk.

In 2003, I'd decided I was gonna get my M1. No one I knew owned a motorcycle, and of course my parents thought I was crazy for even considering it. So, I took the class without them knowing! Har!

I take the class, and love it! Those little 250cc's were enough to make me want more! I get the M1 and am ecstatic!

But.. time goes by... I live in Japan for a year, come back, spend some years in school...

In July 2006, I finally decide to make use of my M1 and get a bike! One of my co-workers was raving about the Hawk GT. So, I did some research, and I thought, "Hey, that's a sweet looking bike, and it's not really that pricey either!" I just thought I could get a good first bike for cheap, and I knew I wanted a standard and not a super jet rice rocket blaster, and definitely not a Harley for me.

I do a search on craigslist, and ... lo' and behold! There's an '88 blue Hawk with 38k on her for a little over $2,000. As far as I know, everything is stock. I make the call instantly, and by the end of the week, she's all mine!

A week later, some co-workers wanted to drive on some twisties up at Skyline Blvd in the peninsula area of San Francisco. Oooh, man. I'd never imagined making turns like that!

The more I rode, the more I fell in love with my Hawk.

Then, there was the first time I brought her to my gf's place. She lives on a hill, and this was my first time parking on an incline. I try to take her into a driveway perpendicular to a hill and... oh, she drops! Oh, the pain (both me and the bike)! Despite the strained muscle from trying to keep her up with the downhill leg, I manage to get up and lift her back up. That leg didn't feel right for a few weeks, nor did my poor bike.

Another time, I'd gotten back to my Hawk after it being parked outside overnight and finding one of my bar weights gone and a mirror displaced. Someone'd tipped my baby over! I freak out and bring her to the nearest bike shop; they say it's probably fine, but I get a tune up just to be sure. She was probably due for one anyways. They found out that one of my sparkplugs was missing! Some crackhead must've jacked it! Crap! How long had I been running on one cylinder?!

So then there was this whole fiasco with my brake light. It'd broken off from the rear cowl and was just dangling around back there. I felt pretty foolish riding around with it just bumpin' around. So, after a few months of being annoyed, I finally got on my ass and poxied the broken parts of the cowl where the light screwed into. It worked great!

Until... today. I get back from lunch at work and notice the rear light's not in place. Aww, crap... Then, I notice a note on the bike... Someone backed into my bike in the parking lot! WTF! Now my cowl's all scratched up on the left, and my rear light is... again, hangin' loose. Dude, that ain't cool!

So now, I've got 45k on her (over 7k within one year), riding 40-60 miles a day, 7 days a week; funky rear cowl with hanging brake light; dirty as crap wheels that definitely need some lovin'; speedometer's bulb is out (why do you need to know your speed in the dark? ); and I'm still lovin' the Hawk!

Great to see everyone being so helpful and encouraging on this site! I can only hope to someday be as knowledgeable and skilled in the Way of the Hawk GT like I see many folks here are!

So, anyways, maybe you'll see this noob with the loose ass around San Francisco sometime. I'll post pics soon!

Ivan

Hi and welcome. nice story. Sounds like you've had some bad luck at times. I also had the dangling light problem in the rear cowl where it had snapped off at the two tabs on the side, however, the top tab is still remains in place. I tried fixing this a few times but they just kept braking off at the tabs again. So in the end as a quick fix (which is still holding) I just superglued the bottom lip of the light to the cowl. If I need to ever remove it I'm sure it will just snap or prize off easily where it is glued as the attached surface area is so small.
    '88 Bros NT650J
    Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
    Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
    Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

Originally Posted by Swipe
      Hi and welcome. nice story. Sounds like you've had some bad luck at times. I also had the dangling light problem in the rear cowl where it had snapped off at the two tabs on the side, however, the top tab is still remains in place. I tried fixing this a few times but they just kept braking off at the tabs again. So in the end as a quick fix (which is still holding) I just superglued the bottom lip of the light to the cowl. If I need to ever remove it I'm sure it will just snap or prize off easily where it is glued as the attached surface area is so small.
      My old bike's light is fixed in there with NoMoreNails. A horrible fix but it works a treat. Kind of irrveversible, mind.
      '95 ShaftHawk 650P>
      Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
      Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
      Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
      Currently off the road.

Comment

Working...
      X