Newbie here in SW Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here in SW Ohio

Well I just joined the Hawk owners club. I just bought a 88 GT with a blue and white custom paint job with a few tics over 9k from a co-worker. I need to look under the hood but I think it has pod filters and will need to crack open the carbs to do the re-jet deal.

At this point I plan on keeping it stock till the riding season is over and then over the winter of 06-7 I plan on adding and Race-tech gold valve kit, rear shock of some kind and a full exhaust. I also like the 5g tank deal-o so you can get a few more miles before fill-ups.

I will post pics when I pick the bike up tomorrow.

Rob
    Rob
    88 Street Hawk
    F2 tank, Aztec8 dual 4", Duc seat and CF cowl, Stage 3 jet, Uni Pods, M4 stubby, SV650 clips, controls & fuel pump, GSXR front mc and CFB1000 front caliper, F3 forks upper and internals, Penske 8983, Gino RCR, rear jump plates & R6 pegs and Vapor gauge...
    04 CRF50 pit bike and stunt runner...
    91 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (she's a runner now...)

welcome to the site and to the Hawk Family.

I cannot beleive how many low mileage Hawks there seem to be out there. I mean I REALLY cannot beleive it!!! Why people are not riding these great bikes - I will never know.

One of mine has a tick over 58,000, and the other a tick over 89,000
    '89 NT650 Hawk GT
    '91 CR125
    '99 KX250
    '97 S-10 (AKA Bike Hauler)

Comment

Welcome to the site!! Glad to see more and more new members posting. Its great. Congrats on the new to you hawk! Put it in the twisties and lean on it..they feel great.

Comment

Sorry no pictures yet... spent the whole time on it!

Yeah it's a real fun ride. I picked it up on Friday and had the day off so it started around 9:25am. Made a few stops... title, plates and tax, insurance, dentist appointment.

This is my first "real" bike. I got my temps back in 01 and bought a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 for $450 as a learner. I rode that till end of the 05 season. I also bought a 2004 Honda Rebel 250 from a salvage yard with minor damage back in 04 with 36miles on it, I took a auto body repair class and fixed it. I then titled it and rode it around last year as well and sold it at the end of the season. So I had 2,700 bucks after the 2 sales and wanted something a little more fun a exciting.

I was looking for one of three bikes: Honda Hawk GT, Suzuki Bandit GSF 400 or a Suzuki SV650. I am not a fan of bike plastic, I am more of a street fighter/naked sport bike person. Which the Hawk falls right in to that area. It has just the right amount of body work or lack there of for me.

A co-worker fell into this bike end of the season in 05. Picked it up with 8100 on it and then put another 1k on it. I knew he had it and liked it but was not in love with it. He really bought it cause he got a great deal on it... $2100! SO with that info in hand I new I could get a deal too.

Well I just had some property finally sell and came back into my "bike" money. So I made a B-line to Scott, asked him to bring the Hawk in for a lunchtime test ride and there was also another co-worker who had a 99 SV that I could test to compare the two. Don't get me wronge the SV is a great bike and I would snap one up in a minute... but the Hawk was just a little more "raw" and fun. The sound the enigine makes under throttle is awesome and a felt better on it. I would need to spend around $3-4 on a SV, I was able to grab the Hawk for a $2,500 and it only had 9k on it and a nice custom KY blue with white racing strips paint job and in great shape. Scott also sold me his AVG mesh armour jacket, gloves and Suomy helmet for another $200.

Lets just say I was on it as much as my wife would allow and my daughter and the other kids on the block thinks it's really cool looking... and so do I! But more than looks it handels like a dream and I will have fun learning how to drag my knee so to speak. I won't be afraid of showning it off... the Maxim was not a looker but for a first bike it did it job.

I still need to get some pic's...

Rob
        Rob
        88 Street Hawk
        F2 tank, Aztec8 dual 4", Duc seat and CF cowl, Stage 3 jet, Uni Pods, M4 stubby, SV650 clips, controls & fuel pump, GSXR front mc and CFB1000 front caliper, F3 forks upper and internals, Penske 8983, Gino RCR, rear jump plates & R6 pegs and Vapor gauge...

Comment

Rob
          88 Street Hawk

Comment

That's such a great looking Hawk... yeah, mine had 9K on it too when I bought it in '04.
            1988 "BlackHawk" project
            1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
            1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
            People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Working...
            X