New guy from NY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy from NY

Dropping a post here as a new guy. While I do not own a Hawk, I signed up here as a bike enthusiast and one that builds bikes from time to time. One of my current personal project does have some Hawk components(rear eccentric/spindle) so it sort of fits the bill a bit.

-Adam

Might as well post a pic of said bike with Hawk parts in it. 2008 SV650. 2014 BPV GSXR front fork, Ducati Marchesini wheels, CBR 1000 monoblock brakes. Rear has a VFR 750 swinger with Hawk spindle setup. I run my own metal fab/CNC shop so I have been machining lots of the required pieces to make it all work. Building this one as a backroad bomber/work travel bike. Will be a bit of street fighter meets motard look to it when all said and done. Still a bit to go with front headlight/fender setup, gotta weld up the new rear subframe, make the rear bodywork, exhaust, etc. Started a new tank but fell back to the shocker for now.

Good basement project when I'm still up and the wife and kiddos have long passed out

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Whereabouts in NY are you? Your build looks pretty good!
      '89 Hawk a.k.a. The RallyHawk (my son's now!) | '89 Hawk a.k.a. The Deuce | Spare Parts/Dented Learner Bike | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled! )

I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Saratoga NY, about 20 minutes north of Albany.

Thanks! Yeah this bike has been an ongoing project for about 2 years now. I get to pick away at it now and then and just recently sourced a front Marchesini wheel for a decent price. That was the one piece I needed so I could set up the bikes suspension geometry and move forward with it. Now it is all just regular machine this, weld that type of stuff. Hopefully road worthy before the snow melts!

-Adam

Comment

I'm a few hours west of you in Elmira. If you get it up and running, I host a rally the first weekend of August.
          '89 Hawk a.k.a. The RallyHawk (my son's now!) | '89 Hawk a.k.a. The Deuce | Spare Parts/Dented Learner Bike | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled! )

I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

For sure. I'm shooting for mid May to have this thing on the road. Not that I ever need one, but I always look for reasons to ride. I have a good friend that would likely make a trip out of it with me I was in Elmira over a decade ago visiting a friend in college, IIRC it was a 4-5 hour trip one way. If you host it in the Watkins Glen area as per mentioned in your thread I will be there come hell or high water. Love that region, lots of great roads out there.

Comment

Welcome man.

We are the hawk forum but have many members here who do not have Hawks. Most of us hang around because there is a very high level of overall motorcycle knowledge here. And some awesome peolple.

We have some sharp guys here.
              Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Wecome. And good work putting a more maintenance friendly rear end on it. I hate conventional swingarm and the brake caliper slider on the inside of the right leg. A buddy has an SV... it's not 'hard' to work on... but it's frustrating when you normally have a Hawk. Everything is easy -- and they don't need anything.

I'm a fan of the SV tail lights. My last hawk had an SV tail on it. It confused enough people on the street.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Try and separate a man from his soul. You only strengthen him and lose your own. - J. Newman

Comment

Originally Posted by Rennfab View Post
                  That was the one piece I needed so I could set up the bikes suspension geometry

-Adam
                  Rennfab what u doing to it?

Out of curiosity, why the second gen frame?

I don't know a lot about sv's. Raced one at Roebling Road for a little bit, had one as a street bike too.

I was always under the impression that the first gen was a better platform (and cheaper). Never ridden the newer one thought. Better bike or just what u had?

Comment

Blasphemy - NT and RC parts on a SV? Tehehehehe...welcome.

WW
                    Engaging safety squints -> WW#Store

wwresto.com

Comment

Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
                      Blasphemy - NT and RC parts on a SV? Tehehehehe...welcome.
                      Right, because we'd never put parts from another bike on our Hawks.

Comment

I feel as we move forward and Hawks become

1. Rarer and

2. More outdated

We ne to embrace people that

1. Have skills and want to be a part of this builder comunity (cause that is really what we are.) and

2. People that use the hawk parts to improve more modern bikes (outside of the swinger and maybe the tank I don't know what else anyone would use.. when we build them we keep the frame the swinger and the tank and some of the motor and that's about it)

The hawk is like a build your own bike starter kit these days.

Do we still have a ban on the word cafe ?

Comment

Nah, we took off the café ban. And personally, I don't think you need to keep the Hawk tank.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Rennfab what u doing to it?

Out of curiosity, why the second gen frame?

I don't know a lot about sv's. Raced one at Roebling Road for a little bit, had one as a street bike too.

I was always under the impression that the first gen was a better platform (and cheaper). Never ridden the newer one thought. Better bike or just what u had?
                            @6 Wasn't so much frame choice, as it was engine. 2ng gen is EFI vs carb'ed 1st gens, later 2nds like mine are also twin spark which helps smooth out the motor response a bit more. That, and I snagged this one as a mid-finished project bike from someone else for a song and a dance. SV's are a common track bike, fairly well balanced when you ditch or revalve the spongy stock dampers, and yes definitely cheap when compared to other decent track bikes. I mostly ride/track supermotards but the SV has always been a nice ride to me.

As far as the suspension bits, I have to machine a special dog link piece for the shock linkage but could not do so until I had both wheels on the bike and could load/adjust the fame to take proper measurements. There are no offshelf OEM parts that make it all work properly 100%, and being a machinist I can't just make do with something that "just fits" like most SV guys do. I used to do quite a bit of custom kit car suspension stuff(Radicals, Ultima GTR, RCR's) so the math/geometry end of things to me is sorta second nature at this point. will still be a little trial and error, but I can get it well into the safe and rideable margin and tweak it from there at a track this spring.

Comment

Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

Comment

Working...
                              X