The Cheese's intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cheese's intro

I'm picking up a 89 Hawk GT on Friday. This will be a project. Hasn't run in 5 years. Will need some in depth attention before being road worthy. Nothing I can't handle. Should be fun. Looking forward to it.

I currently own a ST1100. Set up for long distance riding. The Hawk will be a local bike. Something to have fun with in this wonderful riding area of northeast GA.

I do know I need a few things. Once I get it home I'll start a new thread. A WTB post. Also another to keep track of the progress. I have already bought some things for it.

Michael
    1988 Honda Hawk
    2009 Yamaha TMAX
    North Georgia

Welcome aboard. Bringing a 5 year old unloved Hawk back to the road to be used is always a good thing.
    Bill,
    88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

Comment

"The Hawk will be a local bike." Yes, you have it right. Hawk for a couple of hours of fun within a hundred miles. Longer rides, maybe a BMW, unless you are ParcNHawk and Enigma T .

Comment

Picked it up today. Everybody, meet Judy.

First pic is on the way home. Then at lunch. Lastly at home. 1989 Honda Hawk. 21K miles. Project.

Too cheap to pass up. Too bad it will cost me tons to get it back right. Should be fun tho. Right?

Came with a rear stand. Tailbag. Dolly. Battery tender.

1988 Honda Hawk
        2009 Yamaha TMAX
        North Georgia

Comment

Also has an F2 tank, Corbin gunfighter & lady seat, and some aftermarket foot pegs.
          Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
          I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

I was told it was a runner 4.5 years ago. I went in thinking people tend to underestimate time passing. Also they seem to "tint" the reality of how things are. Instead of seeing it in it's current state, they tend to remember it for what it was. So I was hesitant to think I could get this going quickly. Well after unloading it today I took a cursory glance at things. This will be a longer project than I thought. I'm still happy with my buy. I'm also excited to get started. I hoped to put a little work into it to get it going. To "prove" that it was worthy to put real money into. To see if I even liked it enough to spend big bucks. I have come to the conclusion that I pretty much have to start from step one. Not a full resto, but close to it. It just needs too much stuff. I will go into more detail in the thread I create about it.

I am not saying in any way that the previous owner misrepresented it. Nor am I saying I got screwed. Just to be clear. I got it cheap enough no matter what I do I think it will work out.

1988 Honda Hawk
            2009 Yamaha TMAX
            North Georgia

Comment

other than a new battery and tires and if no rust in the tank then it will take more time than money to get it on the road. It don't look that bad in my opinion. Start with the tank, petcock, fuel filter, carbs and a battery. Fresh coolant and with tank off check the valve clearances. Flush the brakes with new fluid. That would be my starting order but others here are more expert than me. Then move to chain & cush drive. Tires somewhere along the line. Electrical (if starting ok) is my last part.

Good luck, have fun wrenching and eventually riding it.

Bill,
              88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

Comment

^^ as bill suggests, drain and flush the tank first thing. if you find rust, replace the fuel filter.
                "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

Welcome to the cult!

As you get Judy going just keep in mind that the more time you spend in the saddle, the more money you're going to want to spend on her.

Comment

Lookings like the Stand Alone Projekt, Tovarische......
                    "Dreifach ist der schritt der zeit: Zoegernd kommt die zukunft hergezogen. Pfeilschnell ist das jetzt entflogen. Ewig still steht die Vergangenheit...."

Comment

It looks to be a clean bike and like you could put some fresh fuel and a new battery in and it would be be rideable. What’s wrong with it?

It looks like it’s been garaged during its lay up - 5 years isn’t so long in suitable storage.

Having been myself guilty in the past of tearing down perfectly rideable bikes I can now see the virtue in riding them first before starting any restoration. Although I’ve replaced or refurbished just about every part on my nt650 it’s never been completely stripped down.

Comment

It does appear a little better in pics than it does in person. I'll start a progress thread for it soon. If I can get a break from work. I really havn't been able to take a good look at it yet.

The tank is horrible inside. I really do think it has sat for longer than PO thinks. I mean, I could smell old gas before even opening the tank!
                        1988 Honda Hawk
                        2009 Yamaha TMAX
                        North Georgia

Comment

Start a thread in Technical/Mechanical Section and post pics ... or make posts in “What did you do to your Hawk Today”

Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

Comment

Welcome aboard from one of the guys with challenged [Read rust-filled] tanks. Hope your tank doesn't stall your project.

Comment

I took it out of the shed today to have a better look at it. Below are some pics. I got the seat and tank off. It has UNI pods on it. The previous previous owner put the current fuel tank on it. Just welded crap onto the frame. For a rear tank mount. Previous owner undid all that and did a much better job at mounting. The way it was before you could not get the battery out. Who does that crap?

I'd like to take it back to stock. Or pretty much stock. I have some work ahead. I guess I'll gather parts for a bit. Maybe next weekend I can clean it up a bit. See how those carbs look.

I plan on making a for sale post soon. For the tank bag, tail bag, bar end mirrors, battery tender, and dolly.

I also plan to make a wanted to buy post soon. For a stock airbox, turn signals, tail piece, rear cowl, bar ends, foot pegs, brake lever, centerstand, and fuel tank. Or at least a tank that isn't stock, but looks better. If you see something I should ad to the list please point it out.

https://imgur.com/a/nw4fwlX

Last edited by The Cheese; 08-22-2021, 09:09 PM.
                              1988 Honda Hawk
                              2009 Yamaha TMAX
                              North Georgia

Comment

Working...
                              X