Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My BROS 400

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My BROS 400

    Hello,

    My name is David, most people call me Dav

    This is my NT400 I picked up for a few hundred bucks recently

    It's not pretty, and has definitely seen some hard times. The bikes were never released in my country and this is the only one I've ever seen. (Have seen a few 650s though)

    I've got all the parts here ready to go for a full strip to frame and rebuild

    Last part I'm waiting on is the seat cowl and pillion cover from
    fabitappi and then I'll start a build thread

    I'm going to paint it black to start with, but at a later date I'm thinking of painting the frame black and the plastics/tank in Mazda Soul Red

    Attached Files

    #2
    welcome !!

    a shame to paint a red hawk black like it was stolen.
    "It's only getting worse."


    MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

    Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally Posted by ggdav View Post
      Hello,

      My name is David, most people call me Dav

      This is my NT400 I picked up for a few hundred bucks recently

      It's not pretty, and has definitely seen some hard times. The bikes were never released in my country and this is the only one I've ever seen. (Have seen a few 650s though)

      I've got all the parts here ready to go for a full strip to frame and rebuild

      Last part I'm waiting on is the seat cowl and pillion cover from
      fabitappi and then I'll start a build thread

      I'm going to paint it black to start with, but at a later date I'm thinking of painting the frame black and the plastics/tank in Mazda Soul Red
      Welcome to the forum!

      For its age, that looks like a very good example. I notice it still has the covers over the front engine bolts and the swinging arm, which suggests a bike that hasn’t been badly tampered with.

      It’s a personal thing, but I’ve never completely dismantled my bike although every part has been off at one time or another. I suppose I’ve preferred to keep it together as the route back to a complete bike seems shorter.

      As I’m sure your know, if your bike is a Bros it was originally black.

      Comment


        #4
        Indeed, plenty of options for filling and paint on the fender, tank, cowl, sprocket cover.... But my goodness, your beautiful aluminum frame looks like it just needs a light cleaning with something non-abrasive. Personally, I would not paint one unless it were badly scratched. Maybe save that project for last after you have restored everything else. You might like it as it is.

        Comment


          #5
          I agree on the frame. Two of the best and most unique parts of a Hawk are the frame and the swingarm. I wouldn't want to hide the frame with paint.
          Brian - Richland, WA
          1991 Hawk GT
          1997 VFR

          Comment


            #6
            I love a black framed hawk. As long as the swingarm is done too.

            I think the black with Mazda red will look good.

            Congratulations on the hawk and welcome! These things are a blast to work on.

            I have a bad habit of completely disassembling a hawk as soon as it enters my shop. Results are positive but always takes 5-10 times as long as I anticipate..
            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

            Comment


              #7
              I know the frame will be polarising. I work in a custom motorcycle workshop building custom harleys and victories. We did virtual mock ups of the bike in every colour combination you can think of. Almost all of them looked better with painted frame and swing arm to match.

              I'm building the bike in 2 stages, first stage everything painted but the frame, swingarm and engine. Then stage 2 is ceramic coat the engine, frame and swing arm. I'm doing it that way so I have an opportunity half way through to change my mind and stay with the polished alloy if i want

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by DrPMC View Post
                Welcome to the forum!

                For its age, that looks like a very good example. I notice it still has the covers over the front engine bolts and the swinging arm, which suggests a bike that hasn’t been badly tampered with.

                It’s a personal thing, but I’ve never completely dismantled my bike although every part has been off at one time or another. I suppose I’ve preferred to keep it together as the route back to a complete bike seems shorter.

                As I’m sure your know, if your bike is a Bros it was originally black.
                Actually I wasn't aware of that. I can trace the bike back to when it was imported from Japan and it arrived red. It's since been crashed and repainted in the same red

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally Posted by ggdav View Post

                  Actually I wasn't aware of that. I can trace the bike back to when it was imported from Japan and it arrived red. It's since been crashed and repainted in the same red
                  On reflection, I think I’m talking bollocks… I can’t remember ever seeing a standard Bros in the UK that wasn’t black but, looking again, I see that there were other colour options for the Bros, including red.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Welcome to the world of Hawks.
                    You have a nice, solid bike to start and once you get it all together and on the road, your life will be forever changed.
                    Hawks aren't the fastest bikes out there, but there is just something about how everything works together.
                    Keep us posted on your progress.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Welcome aboard!
                      Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
                      I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X