Cleveland, OH beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleveland, OH beginner

Hello! I just bought my first bike - a 1989 Hawk GT with 12,000 miles. I LOVE the retro cafe racer style and would like to see some photos of other bikes for inspiration. Any advice for a brand new rider is appreciated... I may or may not have dropped the bike in gravel 20 minutes after unloading it.

Welcome. Pretty good first bike choice. The Hawk is my son's second bike, but he's barely ridden his first as he outgrew it so fast so might as well be his first. If you haven't, Take the MSF course it will save your life and set you up to ride the wheels of the hawk! I know a couple instructors in Ohio.

Comment

Welcome. seat time and training is always good. after you get a year or so under your belt do a Track day!. its all about skill development!

Gino
      Chain Roller

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY

2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
      2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
      2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
      LRRS HAWK GT Racer CCS Expert #929
      ECK RACING

Comment

Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
        do a Track day!. its all about skill development!
        This!!!! I had a girlfriend who's first time on a bike was parking lots, second drag strip, third race school.... She was a menace and that's abnormal, but don't think you need to be Valentino Rossi to hit the track. Best learning you can do.
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

there are dozens of youtube videos to help you learn riding skills and to avoid accidents.
          "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

Hello from a fellow Clevelander. Lets see some pics of the bike.

Honestly, if you are brand new to riding, don't bother with trying to mod the bike. Used to yell at new riders all the time who get their first cheap bike, and then spend all their time trying to modify or upgrade this or that, trying to do things way beyond their ability, and then get fed up with not having something to ride. Do the maintenance routine and get some seat time in.

Do the MSF course. It's pretty good, and it's only a couple days. Don't worry about track days for a while. Just ride around.

And IMHO, if you REALLY REALLY want the cafe style racer bike, and the stock hawk look doesn't do it for you, either buy someone who already build one and is struggling to sell it, or save up and buy one of the FI modern ones. Save yourself the time and effort.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

This!!!! I had a girlfriend who's first time on a bike was parking lots, second drag strip, third race school.... She was a menace and that's abnormal, but don't think you need to be Valentino Rossi to hit the track. Best learning you can do.
              And safer than on the open road for sure.
              88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
              89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
              90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

Welcome! If you're new to bikes and bike maintenance it would be a good idea to have someone you know and trust go over the bike to see if there is anything maintenance wise that should be done to the bike. It's always better to sort out the sticky throttle, bad chain, low fluid levels etc. in the garage than on the road

Enjoy!

Comment

At this point, I always recommend reading (and studying) David L. Hough's book, Proficient Motorcycling. In fact, I need to get the new edition myself.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
                    Heed the wise advice from those above.

And let's see some pics!

Comment

Originally Posted by HugeNoob View Post
                      Hello! I just bought my first bike - a 1989 Hawk GT with 12,000 miles. I LOVE the retro cafe racer style and would like to see some photos of other bikes for inspiration. Any advice for a brand new rider is appreciated... I may or may not have dropped the bike in gravel 20 minutes after unloading it.
                      My first Hawk was 100% stock, and a very good ride. Then I went on a group Hawk ride, and saw what was possible. It inspired me. I hope you can find some Hawk riders near you so you can get a feeling for this.

My second Hawk is a lot more fun, but it took me three years and waaaaaay too much money to get there. I will never get my money out of it, but I get a lot of joy out of it.

Comment

Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post

And safer than on the open road for sure.
                        She was safer/better on the street than almost anyone without a couple years racing under their belts.. but an absolute menace on the track haha.

Probably had a 60% finish ratio. But she did get quick..

Nothing infuriates a guy than getting passed by a pink shock and pony tail hanging out the back of a helmet..

Comment

Originally Posted by ricksax View Post
                          At this point, I always recommend reading (and studying) David L. Hough's book, Proficient Motorcycling. In fact, I need to get the new edition myself.
                          OR
                          Ken Condon - Riding in the Zone
                          Gino
                          Chain Roller

ECK RACING

Comment

Books are good. But all the books in the world don't help you without the time on the bike doing the things you read. When the back kicks out at Apex you don't have time to think back on what you read. All the knowledge was to be turned into muscle memory to be effective.

Comment

i did not understands TOTW 2 until I was racing.
                              Gino
                              Chain Roller

ECK RACING

Comment

Working...
                              X