Home Made Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Made Trailer

I'm making a trailer for Charlie. 69Falcon had a spare axel and springs that he sold him. Charlie needs it for his hunting cabin, something to tow behind the tractor and haul firewood or whatever.

Its been a bit of a project. I stared with just a pile of 1x2 tube that we had out back of one of the sheds. Its been a fun project. I'm hoping to get paint on it this afternoon. I just finished capping off the open ends and making the braces for the front. Its a mix of mig and tig, depending on what i had the welder set to when I went to work on it at that time.

Again, I'm not doing much bike work but still doing work so I figured I would share.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Pics.
    IMG_20210208_150010.jpg IMG_20210208_150021.jpg IMG_20210208_150038.jpg

Been a cool project.. I have to get up to his cabin to measure the height of the tractor to know where to put the hitch on this bitch. But then after I make latches for the removable tailgate I can put wheels on her and wrap it up.

Comment

I can say with 100% certainty that I have spent more in cigarettes doing this project than I'm getting paid for it.

Its just a skill building excersize.

Comment

Very cool welding project! I love trailers and I love welding! Now, all you need is a couple of VFR wheels to cap off those spindle ends! 4 x100 bolt pattern, right??
        Eric Y.
        NT663, VFR8 & CB1
        Yuzon Designworks

Comment

Lovely ,Andy! Just make sure to get the tongue long enough for easy backing up.....short trailers are a PITA.

Comment

Originally Posted by eyhonda View Post
            Very cool welding project! I love trailers and I love welding! Now, all you need is a couple of VFR wheels to cap off those spindle ends! 4 x100 bolt pattern, right??
            Yes, the trouble with it is the center. Its BIG. I tried to for civic wheels, the bolt pattern is good but the center hits. There is a step on the inside that won't fit the hole in the wheel.

16128791827579023628367592289518.jpg

I could ream the wheel out with the die grinder I'm sure, but I would rather not.

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post
              Lovely ,Andy! Just make sure to get the tongue long enough for easy backing up.....short trailers are a PITA.
              Thanks dude. Its pretty long. Its 6' from the axel to the point as is. It will probably be another 8" by the time I finish it. I stretch that point out to try and make it a little better. Then I ran it out too far and had to brace it up.... But I think I have enough room in the front to throw a toolbox or something on the front. Thinking about it.

16128794775816896385536969311085.jpg

I need to make the deck then get wheels on it. I was hoping to be able to tinker with the deck today, but Kristen isn't doing well. I need to spend any free time I can get today inside.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Yes, the trouble with it is the center. Its BIG. I tried to for civic wheels, the bolt pattern is good but the center hits. There is a step on the inside that won't fit the hole in the wheel.

16128791827579023628367592289518.jpg

I could ream the wheel out with the die grinder I'm sure, but I would rather not.
                I figured. I was mostly kidding.. The big center is for the large axle bearing hiding behind it.

That trailer will be very useful as I see it. Trailers are always in demand for good reason​​​​​.

Toolbox will be a nice feature.

Anyway, hope Kristen feels better today. The trailer can wait.
                Eric Y.
                NT663, VFR8 & CB1
                Yuzon Designworks

Comment

Originally Posted by eyhonda View Post

I figured. I was mostly kidding.. The big center is for the large axle bearing hiding behind it.

That trailer will be very useful as I see it. Trailers are always in demand for good reason​​​​​.

Toolbox will be a nice feature.

Anyway, hope Kristen feels better today. The trailer can wait.
                  That's what I figured. But I was really hoping that civic wheels would work. I can get them at the salvage yard for $25/ea with tires. $35 if I want fancy aluminum ones.

As of now including the spray cans, some grinding/cutting disks and the axle he is in this thing like $75. I built it entirely out of scrap we had kicking around.
                  16128849840682971488990002802432.jpg

We have 25 or 30 25' lengths of this in a pile out back. It takes some work to get it cleaned up and useable but it's better than letting it go to waste.

We are way ahead of the cost of buying a trailer of this caliber, but I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Want to do the man a favor. If we need to spend $150 on wheels and tires that would suck.

​​​​

Comment

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...a/AM30000.html

$32.09/ea plus shipping.
                    Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
                    I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
                      funny....I need to build a sulky for my mower..........I'm looking at trailer parts as well.....hubs and wheels.....

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
                        It appears that's an 8" wheel. I was planning on closer to a 14. And I can not tell the size of the hole for the hub center.

Comment

Got a bed and sides on it tonight.

IMG_20210222_180509.jpg

IMG_20210222_180520.jpg

Comment

It appears that's an 8" wheel. I was planning on closer to a 14. And I can not tell the size of the hole for the hub center.
                            Check out Northern tool.....aisle full of wheels.....

Comment

Got a bed and sides on it tonight.

IMG_20210222_180509.jpg

IMG_20210222_180520.jpg
                              Havent checked in in a while. That looks great!

Comment

Working...
                              X