• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Knife Thread

What you using?

This is what I use every day.
    16128154054006159359294878657845.jpg

I require all the guys to have a knife on them at all times at work. It goes around my neck and it super convenient. It's just always there and it never gets in the way.

We can not use folders. Most of the time just getting them open is a pita if you are in gloves and/or only have once hand available.. they get shit packed in them and can be hard to open and shut. Also Christian had one close on him one day. So we use fixed blades.

I bought this yesterday.
    16128156150092852085050827296453.jpg

Its a Utica Sportsman.

It was super cheap at an antiques shop. Its from the 50's. I may actually try bringing it to work if I can come up with a better sheath. Purely because it's cool and old. The handle is plastic, I thought about making a new one from deer antler. Never done that before.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

I have a few good neck knives.....but for work I've always carried a SpyderCo Harpy.......big finger hole....easy to open.....serrated pruning hook/emergency belt cutter and a wicked tip for finer
    work. Annnnd.....really pricey now if you can find one......there latest hawkbill that they make is about !$120.And it has plastic handle scales......
    Spyderco-Harpy.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post
      I have a few good neck knives.....but for work I've always carried a SpyderCo Harpy.......big finger hole....easy to open.....serrated pruning hook/emergency belt cutter and a wicked tip for finer
      work. Annnnd.....really pricey now if you can find one......there latest hawkbill that they make is about !$120.And it has plastic handle scales......
      Spyderco-Harpy.jpg
      God damn.

I have to say, I love nice things, but fack. $120 knife seems excessive to me. The ones I have get sharp, stay sharp, don't break, don't rust and feel good in my hand. I'm not sure what a knife could do for me to make it worth 3x the money..

Then again, the best you have ridden is the best you know.

Comment

I've never carried a neck knife before... how does it keep from dropping out of the kydex sheath? Just a pressure fit? I'd have a tough time trusting that I wasn't going to lose it.

Those steel-handled Spyderco slipjoint folders are nice. I carried a Grasshopper for a while until it was confiscated by the bouncer patting me down at the door at a Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators show in NYC in 2015. That might've been the best rock show I've ever been to, so as much as I liked the knife, it was worth it.

I've carried a 3" CRKT Heiho for years now, I'm not even sure when I got it. I can easily open/close it with one hand. I'll probably pick up the 4" Hissatsu eventually. They're spring assisted, though, so I have to remember not to leave CT with it... stupid NYC law.

My camp knife is a short Ka-Bar.
        1988 "BlackHawk" project
        1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
        1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
        People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Originally Posted by dagus View Post
          I've never carried a neck knife before... how does it keep from dropping out of the kydex sheath? Just a pressure fit? I'd have a tough time trusting that I wasn't going to lose it.
          They don't come out. I wear it all day every day and have never had it fall out. Elmer wears one too. We do every single thing that you would think would make them drop. They don't. They snap right into the necklace.

Its incredibly convenient. The only down side is if you are wearing bibs or a bunch of layers, or your hands/gloves are covered in snow, reaching into your shirt can suck and/or get cold if you don't have it on the outside. Better than having to get into a pocket, or having it on your belt where they always catch on shit and dig into you.

I'm just kinda bored with it and want to try the old school one... Until it pisses me off or I loose it.

Comment

Whatever comes out of the bin. I don’t care enough about knives to learn the models but mostly have Kershaw,Gerber and Spydercos. 83375E64-504F-4647-9E36-95A48DFF9065.jpeg

Comment

Originally Posted by joel View Post
              Whatever comes out of the bin. I don’t care enough about knives to learn the models but mostly have Kershaw,Gerber and Spydercos. 83375E64-504F-4647-9E36-95A48DFF9065.jpeg
              Nice bin....any Benchmade? I have 3 I think......Balisong and 2 folding fighters...

Comment

Spyderco Civilian.jpg

Comment

Anyone ever seen the CRKT Provoke? Slick little piece of engineering.
                  1988 "BlackHawk" project
                  1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
                  1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
                  People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Nice bin....any Benchmade? I have 3 I think......Balisong and 2 folding fighters...

Yes a couple of the HK co-branded autos.

Comment

Originally Posted by joel View Post

Yes a couple of the HK co-branded autos.
                      ahhh....the LE connection......nice.

Comment

.Balisong

My son teddy is a BEAST with his Balisong. Like no joke.

He was practicing with scissor pretending it was a knife.

Wes ratted him out..

. When his mom went to see what was up she was like holy fucking shit you are good at that.

She bought him a $30 trainer off of Amazon. He used that till he wore it out. Then she bought him a $200 trainer from Squid Industries.. he practices with that thing for HOURS EVERY DAY.

He is about to get another. Either a real blade for the trainer or another Knife that has a real blade.

I'll try to get a video of him. He does shit with it that doesn't make sense to me. He was trying to explain it to me over Christmas.....

Ted: let it roll off the finger and and rotate across your palm, then catch it with your little finger and grab it like this when the handles come back.

Andy: Throws the trainer across the room.

He wants to try and do the competitions.

That is the only reason I know the word Balisong.. to me they where just butterfly knives. You don't want to say butterfly around him. He will correct you before you get to the "y".

Strange the shit kids get into. But I'm super impressed.

Anything that takes dedication and practice impresses me.

Comment

I didn’t even know this was a thing

Comment

... .....

Comment

Blades are indispensable tools in my world. I pocket carry a Leatherman Charge Tii and a Benchmade AFO daily for the last 25 yrs. The Leatherman gets legit use daily. I have a fixed blade available in my kit and have been recently using a Benchmade SOCP on my belt, but that has yet to see the light of day...and that’s a good thing. Add one of their Rescue Hooks to my belt as well...makes quick work of seatbelts, clothing, and doubling as an oxygen bottle valve wrench.

Benchmade hooks me up.

-P.

(I’ll avoid the Balisong)
                              Last edited by Goshawk; 02-11-2021, 02:11 AM.
                              I need a bigger garage.

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X