Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle shipping

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Motorcycle shipping

    By chance would there be a forum member traveling from the northeast that could transport a bike from south central Pa. to Denver in the near future OR recommend a reliable and fair priced shipper.
    TIA
    Acta non verba


    '88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
    '88 Restomod
    '16 Yamaha FJ-09

    #2
    Reliable and fair priced can be speculative but I have used Motoshippers in the past and they cost about 500 USD from DFW, TX to Los Angeles area and took about a week to transport if I recall properly. They do it for a living, so they have insurance, a nice program, and as secure as transportation can be for a 40 foot double stacker trailer. I'm pretty sure they don't sleep in their vehicle and stuff but I guess that is why the are insured. https://www.motoshippers.com/

    Considering the time, fuel, food cost, lodging and effort it would take to transport that distance in my own truck, 500 bucks is a bargain realistically speaking.

    That was a few years ago admitedly so fuel costs may have pushed up their pricing some.
    88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
    89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
    90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

    Comment


      #3
      Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
      Reliable and fair priced can be speculative but I have used Motoshippers in the past and they cost about 500 USD from DFW, TX to Los Angeles area and took about a week to transport if I recall properly. They do it for a living, so they have insurance, a nice program, and as secure as transportation can be for a 40 foot double stacker trailer. I'm pretty sure they don't sleep in their vehicle and stuff but I guess that is why the are insured. https://www.motoshippers.com/

      Considering the time, fuel, food cost, lodging and effort it would take to transport that distance in my own truck, 500 bucks is a bargain realistically speaking.

      That was a few years ago admitedly so fuel costs may have pushed up their pricing some.
      Ricardito
      Acta non verba


      '88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
      '88 Restomod
      '16 Yamaha FJ-09

      Comment


        #4
        i shipped the '86 FJ1200 i usta own to a guy in houston a few years ago. Forward Air. drove the bike to a site near the airport and into a box. arrived the next day, not too expensive.
        "It's only getting worse."


        MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

        Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post
          i shipped the '86 FJ1200 i usta own to a guy in houston a few years ago. Forward Air. drove the bike to a site near the airport and into a box. arrived the next day, not too expensive.
          Ricardito
          Acta non verba


          '88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
          '88 Restomod
          '16 Yamaha FJ-09

          Comment


            #6
            Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post
            i shipped the '86 FJ1200 i usta own to a guy in houston a few years ago. Forward Air. drove the bike to a site near the airport and into a box. arrived the next day, not too expensive.
            x2...Forward Air is Federal's freight arm.......pretty easy to work with.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post

              x2...Forward Air is Federal's freight arm.......pretty easy to work with.
              Not to detract but I thought fedex ground was their freight arm?
              88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
              89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
              90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post

                Not to detract but I thought fedex ground was their freight arm?
                Real freight.Like big things...FedExGround has a weight limit.....I went to Forward in Hartford at Bradley Int.Airport to pick up engines.
                A comment from the BigMan is never a detraction.

                Comment


                  #9
                  A shipping suggestion-recommendation....

                  Back in Oct. of 2021 I had good results working with uShip, (https://www.uship.com), one of many shipping agents in north America. Keep in mind they're only a middleman, an agent, working with independent haulers. They connected me with Andrew and Dani of Alpha and Omega shipping (https://www.uship.com/service-provid...mega-transport). The route was about 1500 miles and the final cost was ~$500. I learned that just above Everything affects shipping costs and delivery times. The experience wasn't "picture perfect" as some of the paperwork didn't arrive with the Hawk. Andrew & Dani went above-and-beyond to correct the problem and in the end I only had to wait two days for paperwork that should have arrived with the bike. Overall, after comparing the many options I think I got a good value for the money.

                  'Course it would have been better to 'buy local' or to have a friend who just happened to be driving an empty cargo van from the seller's home base to my driveway that week,

                  Like rpcraft said above, "...Reliable and fair priced can be speculative..." so buyer [of shipping services], beware! YMMV

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post

                    Real freight.Like big things...FedExGround has a weight limit.....I went to Forward in Hartford at Bradley Int.Airport to pick up engines.
                    A comment from the BigMan is never a detraction.
                    Gotcha. I am always a little leery of any company that does not expressly make their trade in shipping vehicles. Motors and things maybe not so much of an issue but I've seen cases that still make me thing I would only do it if it was crated like how you shipped those motors to JD back in the past. That is probably the smartest thing to do in those cases for sure!
                    88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                    89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                    90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post

                      Gotcha. I am always a little leery of any company that does not expressly make their trade in shipping vehicles. Motors and things maybe not so much of an issue but I've seen cases that still make me thing I would only do it if it was crated like how you shipped those motors to JD back in the past. That is probably the smartest thing to do in those cases for sure!
                      I agree with this 100%..If you ship.....you need to crate and pack whatever you ship.Never trust anyone to pack your shit.
                      You do it right,no worries.This is now a bench or tabletop in Luis's shop.In Germany. crating 004.JPG crating 006.JPG

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post

                        I agree with this 100%..If you ship.....you need to crate and pack whatever you ship.Never trust anyone to pack your shit.
                        You do it right,no worries.This is now a bench or tabletop in Luis's shop.In Germany. crating 004.JPG crating 006.JPG
                        Somehow it got lost on the way to my place.
                        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X