old cats, part 2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old cats, part 2...

Get ready for the feels, if you're a cat person. You've been warned.

One of our two cats (13 year old siblings) passed back in May (and there's another "Old Cats" thread for Moony). Thanks for being there for me when we went through that with him.

It's weird... but get this... his sister Star always had a completely different personality. I'm told that male black cats are often like Moony was... more like a dog than a cat, really affectionate and attentive. Star was always a stereotypical cat... aloof, likes to hide... she's indoor-only but typically we wouldn't see her all day until she came out for dinner. She'd avoid being petted too much and would run away if you gave her too much attention (until late in the evening, and then it was like you flipped a switch and she doesn't leave me alone).

His last few days, Moony just laid in the same spot by the kitchen. Just before he died, maybe two days before, I saw Star come out and -- really cautiously -- sniff at him and then run away. She wouldn't come near him, at the end. It was weird because they were always really close, always near each other. I think she knew, and she hated it. It probably scared her.

Then he passed, and she's slept in the spot where he died ever since. She used to hate their cat carrier, and would never go in it, but she practically lives in it now, in the same spot.

Here's what I think is so interesting though. She's never been a talkative cat, but now she won't shut up. Chirps and meows and generally makes herself known all the time. She was always so quiet before... communicating with us was kind of her brother's job. I think she was so used to having him around, there was no need. Now she's so much more social and affectionate. She misses him, I think. Now that he's gone, it seems like she has a much bigger need to interact with her humans.
    1988 "BlackHawk" project
    1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
    1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
    People who know ride Hawks. Riot

She may also be missing her interactions with him. Have you thought about getting another?
    Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
    I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
      She may also be missing her interactions with him. Have you thought about getting another?
      Good idea but I read an article in a cat magazine recently that getting another cat is for the human dealing with the loss of a cat and advised against.
      Getting a new cat in the house would only traumatize the grieving cat further.
      Enjoy her for what she is now.
      Catnip and Catster are publications that are very informative and dedicated to the subject of caring for cats.
      "Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme"
      1952 Vincent Black Lightning by Richard Thompson

'88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
      '88 Restomod
      '16 Yamaha FJ-09

Comment

We're kind of enjoying this new side of her, to be honest. Ziggy makes a good point, though... it's the same reason we're not getting a dog right now, either... we don't want to stress her out. We both work from home now, so we're always around and we don't have to worry about her being alone much.
        1988 "BlackHawk" project
        1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
        1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
        People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Originally Posted by dagus View Post
          We're kind of enjoying this new side of her, to be honest. Ziggy makes a good point, though... it's the same reason we're not getting a dog right now, either... we don't want to stress her out. We both work from home now, so we're always around and we don't have to worry about her being alone much.
          Getting the new puppy with Deets here was a mixed bag. He has definitely come to life a little more (he isn't old, only 4), he plays more and acts like a puppy more... That said it also fucked with his head.

He is used to having all the attention, not sharing, not worried about someone eating his food or taking his toys. But the big one is sneak attack playing by the puppy.

D has always been cautious. It's in his nature. It comes from his past. He got stung by a bee in the side yard two years ago, he still has not walked on that patch of grass since. He goes around on the driveway instead.

The puppy likes to come out of nowhere and jump him. He could be sleeping, sitting playing with a toy or walking past the bathroom and the puppy comes out of nowhere and jumps him. That has definitely not been good for him. Also the puppy may come out of nowhere at fulls speed and slam him broad side.

We are working HARD on correcting that behavior, but we don't want him to think he isn't allowed to play with D. The playing is a huge positive.. but teaching him to get D's attention first and make sure he wants to play, that's hard...

D's solution to this has to become even more by my side. He was already basically my third leg...

New animal in the house is a very hard one to predict the impact on the existing animal.

Crash just left with daisy to NH for the week.. D will be sad today, he will enjoy the 1-1 time all week, then be stocked when they are back (until the puppy steals his toy and makes a break for it.)
          Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I'm at the vet with the old cat right now. 2 years ago, at 16, I thought she was a goner, because she was losing weight and having kidney problems. Luckily the docs were able to stabilizer her (with freaking expensive food and medicine), but she has been wonderful to have through the pandemic.

Now her old hips are getting pretty weak, so she doesn't get around well - but every night after the kids go to bed, she waits for mom or dad to hit the couch so she can perch on our laps and Purr in exchange for pets.

It has been incredibly sweet and wonderful getting these extra years with her. It is sad that we're getting to the end, but I doubt i'll ever get a better animal friend than this old cat!

Comment

Working...
            X