Technology... WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology... WTF

I'm a life long IT guy. When I was a kid my chores where not "take out the trash" they where things like "I need you to build me 2 NT servers and 5 workstations this week. I need them for Monday"

I've been doing this since I was a kid.

I got this job on the farm I 2018. I still dabbled on projects here and there for a bit after that but it's safe to say I've been out since around then.

I've been weighing options and just took a part time job doing projects for a company I worked for awhile back. My first project was a move from on prem to cloud for a chunk of a network for one of out clients.

No problem I said. I got started, got pricing, laid out a plan, drew up a map... Then... I decided to get on the phone with Amazon, because I'd be doing all this in AWS and just run the plan by them.

I felt like I was 260 years old and have been out of the loop since the invention of the light bulb. They where like yup, your plan would work, and that's very cute, but.....

I spent the majority of the call going "wait... We can do what? How does that work? Well then can we still _______? Really? How does that work? Huh?..... And that too? No way! Wow!"

Three years... Three. I was pretty damn close to the cutting edge three years ago. . I've got a lot to learn.

The rate technology is moving forward absolutely blows my mind... This little pocket super computer I'm trying on is just the start.

Where does this all go? Mind boggling.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

"hey I have some stuff can you put it on your hard drive for me but like don't let other people look at it?"
    Suzondacati Build Thread

Chain rollers, swing arm chain guides, brake hangers, etc.

Various parts for sale

Comment

Originally Posted by frinesi2 View Post
      "hey I have some stuff can you put it on your hard drive for me but like don't let other people look at it?"
      Mmmmhhmmmmmm.

I agree completely. But at everyone has a line they will cross where they will trade privacy for convince.

It's just a matter of where is your line, or in this case the clients line. And I will tell you, in their case, that line is loooow.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Working...
      X