4 Runners..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Runners..

Any 4 runner owners and/or enthusiasts on here?

If so, would 250k miles scare you away from a nice clean 99?
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

nope...wouldn't scare me....those motors last...if taken care off...but in the east...the RUST might have taken it already. Buy from NON RUST states...but either way....prices have gone crazy for used cars and 4runners...crazy price.
    I would try family, friends and church connections for sale....lot of cons resellers out there since used market is hot.

I have a 2002 4runner 2wd....bought from neighbor at 230k miles for $2200 couple yrs ago...its now at 275k miles..
    basically ok..right away.. I had to put in new tires and a O2 sensor...I flushed out all the fluids...did tuneup plugs, valve cover gaskets....put in new struts, shocks all around, put on autozone duralast gold series rotors/pads...good...rebuild lower control arm bushings were worn out...whiteline bushings are cheap and good... top control arms...I bought dealer part... did stabilizer link...autozone.. and final was I did the front wheel bearings too...old was good but since I was there...did it anyway.

First thing I did was new ball joints...toyota factory only, don't use aftermarket crap....its prone to failure on 4runners, tacoma.
    then flushed transmission and coolant...seems 4runners are prone to strawberry milkshake...failures reported...seems sooner or later, radiator transmission lines inside fails and lets tranny fluid mix with coolant.....most guys replace radiator as a precaution.. so check that before you buy.

lots of info on 4runner org forum---99 is a 3rd gen,,,same as my 2002...

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...w-members.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html------buyers guide

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/
    Last edited by honda coaster; 12-06-2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by honda coaster View Post
      nope...wouldn't scare me....those motors last...if taken care off...but in the east...the RUST might have taken it already. Buy from NON RUST states...but either way....prices have gone crazy for used cars and 4runners...crazy price.
      I would try family, friends and church connections for sale....lot of cons resellers out there since used market is hot.

I have a 2002 4runner 2wd....bought from neighbor at 230k miles for $2200 couple yrs ago...its now at 275k miles..
      basically ok..right away.. I had to put in new tires and a O2 sensor...I flushed out all the fluids...did tuneup plugs, valve cover gaskets....put in new struts, shocks all around, put on autozone duralast gold series rotors/pads...good...rebuild lower control arm bushings were worn out...whiteline bushings are cheap and good... top control arms...I bought dealer part... did stabilizer link...autozone.. and final was I did the front wheel bearings too...old was good but since I was there...did it anyway.

First thing I did was new ball joints...toyota factory only, don't use aftermarket crap....its prone to failure on 4runners, tacoma.
      then flushed transmission and coolant...seems 4runners are prone to strawberry milkshake...failures reported...seems sooner or later, transmission fails and lets tranny fluid mix with transmission oil.....most guys replace radiator as a precaution.. so check that before you buy.

lots of info on 4runner org forum---99 is a 3rd gen,,,same as my 2002...

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...w-members.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html------buyers guide

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/
      Thank you sir. Good stuff to know. good links.

Right now we are looking at a 99 4 runner and a 2000 xJ. The xJ is clean as clean can be. Its $7000, 180k. The 4Runner is $6000, 250K and looks clean but i have not seen under it.

There are pathfinders too, but i dont trust them as much. We also found a private parts 2005 Cherokee limited with 150k, its loaded and $5500, but its in south Jersey... So.,.. thats far.
      Last edited by 6; 12-07-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I think the only thing I would check is if the timing stuff has been done and if the engine is interference or not. Not sure if they are belt or not but definitely in your skill set to DIY If necessary.
        88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
        89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
        90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
          I think the only thing I would check is if the timing stuff has been done and if the engine is interference or not. Not sure if they are belt or not but definitely in your skill set to DIY If necessary.
          Thank you for the insanely generic car buying advice Rob. Haha

Comment

Well, I figure John already gave you some great specific advice on most of the other big chassis related issues so why repeat what's been said there. I am simply aware the timing belts on those motors can cause problems when they pop depending on the years and I can't recall if 99 was one of them or not so my apologies for that but be aware! That being said, the only other thing I could add is if possible avoid Auto transmissions, not because of the coolant issues that John mentioned, but more along the lines that Japanese units are insanely expensive to pay someone to rebuild or even to find "good" used units and replace.

I'm giving you credit for being mechanically intelligent but I doubt you want to start learning how to rebuild an automatic (unless you already know how of course) vs being able to swap a clutch in your shop or driveway. Just trying to be a good Samaritan and not just a vague smart aleck for a change.

Comment

Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
              Well, I figure John already gave you some great specific advice on most of the other big chassis related issues so why repeat what's been said there. I am simply aware the timing belts on those motors can cause problems when they pop depending on the years and I can't recall if 99 was one of them or not so my apologies for that but be aware! That being said, the only other thing I could add is if possible avoid Auto transmissions, not because of the coolant issues that John mentioned, but more along the lines that Japanese units are insanely expensive to pay someone to rebuild or even to find "good" used units and replace.

I'm giving you credit for being mechanically intelligent but I doubt you want to start learning how to rebuild an automatic (unless you already know how of course) vs being able to swap a clutch in your shop or driveway. Just trying to be a good Samaritan and not just a vague smart aleck for a change.
              I can do simple trans work. I did the 3/4 clutches on a 4l60 once but I'm no trans man. I'm just giving you shit

Comment

I found this too....

https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/...405521005.html

Any of these u see for sale are in the mid to high teens even with 200k +

Seems interesting

Comment

And this guy.

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/ct...406800612.html

The more I research, the more I like these old Toyota's

Comment

I really love the third gen body styles on the 4unner Whenever I think of a 4runner it's the picture that is stuck in my brain. One of my best bud's has one and it's so clean that I told him when he gets ready to let it go I'd be interested.

Comment

here is some youtube link on buying guide....
                      the guy on 4runner link is pretty good. Also.... to make it cheaper,,,consider 2wd ones---way cheaper then 4wd.
                      the lexus is same...lots of reseller, flippers are buying 4runners, lexus 470....are traveling across states to buy and flip...
                      lots of youtube video on how to buy 4runners and gx470.... some are very good...
                      just remember lexus 470 is v8... I think....are gas hogs.
                      also...3rd gen 4runners are most favored by most 4runner owners, drivers.

The XJ is a unique...just like the hawk...made only some yrs....some guys are trying to revive and collecting these...just like hawks... don't know much but its unique just like the honda element...

personally... I don't much care for the 4runner ride...its kind of rough ride for me compared to my toyota camry, van and other cars....I prefer more smooth ride.....even though I still own the famous 90 toyota pickup 22re engine....I bought it new in 90 for $6500 plus tax.....lol

this guy on 4runner buying guide is pretty good----he's a die hard 4runner owner/mods

this guy is a auto flipper/dealer and very well informed on lexus gx470... he specialize in lexus470

Last edited by honda coaster; 12-08-2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by honda coaster View Post
                        here is some youtube link on buying guide....
                        the guy on 4runner link is pretty good. Also.... to make it cheaper,,,consider 2wd ones---way cheaper then 4wd.
                        the lexus is same...lots of reseller, flippers are buying 4runners, lexus 470....are traveling across states to buy and flip...
                        lots of youtube video on how to buy 4runners and gx470.... some are very good...
                        just remember lexus 470 is v8... I think....are gas hogs.
                        also...3rd gen 4runners are most favored by most 4runner owners, drivers.

The XJ is a unique...just like the hawk...made only some yrs....some guys are trying to revive and collecting these...just like hawks... don't know much but its unique just like the honda element...

personally... I don't much care for the 4runner ride...its kind of rough ride for me compared to my toyota camry, van and other cars....I prefer more smooth ride.....even though I still own the famous 90 toyota pickup 22re engine....I bought it new in 90 for $6500 plus tax.....lol

this guy on 4runner buying guide is pretty good----he's a die hard 4runner owner/mods

this guy is a auto flipper/dealer and very well informed on lexus gx470... he specialize in lexus470

Good info. And the gas milage is a consideration for us as the main use for this is PA to NH trips once a month. We absolutely need 4 wheel drive. There are whole season where you will struggle every day to get here without it. Some days even with it.

The Lexus is very tempting. But it's up the top of my budget and 320k miles? If something goes wrong I would imagine parts are not cheap, especially whole assemblies, like transmissions or rear ends, or engines.

Tough call. I'm supposed to go see that 06 tonight. Also found an 09 in NH with 170k, but it has a rejected sticker on it. Dude says it needed an o2 sensor, he replaced the o2 sensor and it has to go 100 miles before they will update the sticker after the repair (that's a lie, it's 50 miles) and he doesn't drive it enough to do the miles.... Iffy. Could need cats or worse.

The older stuff appeals to me more. Simpler, easier, but unfortunately not cheaper.

Comment

Just heard back from that white 99 with 250k for 5900.

That's been the leader of the pack since we found it. Just hard to get in touch with them. Going to see that this afternoon.

Comment

Well, we did it. We got the 99. It was WAY cleaner than i expected, still not quite the "showroom" car he depicted, but still by far the cleanest i have seen in a long time. The body is almost perfect, there is a dent at the bottom of the front drivers fender that you dont see unless you are looking . There is a ding on the rear bumper, a rust spot on the corner of te front bumper and that is about it.

The interior is min. There is nothing i can point out besides that its missing the floor mats.

Underneath, it needs rear brake lines. Other than that, untill i get it on the lift and find the catch its perfect.

​​​​​​​

Comment

IMG_20211208_174001.jpg IMG_20211208_173936.jpg IMG_20211208_180030.jpg IMG_20211208_180012.jpg Pics/\

IMG_20211208_173947.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X