Back to the Real World.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the Real World.

Well, that was a fun 4 years. Living on the farm. Working on the farm. Being up in the mountains. Good and bad up there but over all a fantastic experience.

Today I'm starting a new old job. Another i.t. job back in mass. Have to be there in 1 hour, 37 min...

It's what I've done most of my life. From 10 years old loading windows from stacks of floppys to leaving ctac in 2018 to go to the farm, that's been my job.

Can't say I'm "excited" to go back.. pay is well more than double. So that's cool. Working for a dude I've worked with before who I like. So that's cool... Hopefully back to being on the road solving problems that keep my brain doing gymnastics.. so that's cool.

But I'm sure at some point today I'm going to think about being in a tractor or driving fence wedges, or, or, or, or, .... And wonder.

But, either way. Wish me luck y'all.
    Last edited by 6; 05-23-2022, 10:46 AM.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

So long green pastures.

IMG_20220430_132022.jpg IMG_20220504_165023.jpg IMG_20220424_193648.jpg ​​​​​​​
    Hello green circuit boards and hopefully green dolllaz...

Comment

New jobs, even when are very positive can be stressful. Just know that the skills and mindset you developed on the farm will serve you well. Congratulations, and keep us posted.

Comment

Good luck, Amigo!
        Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

Comment

Good luck dude. I too was an I.T. guy for a number of years and decided to leave due to being inside under the fluorescent lights all day. (Just craved being outside) Working for yourself is the best, and working for others can be a pain in the arse, but pay is another thing... good to have da money!

Comment

Like we PM'd on IG, you should maybe look into "precision agriculture" as a career. A blend of computers, IT, and getting your hands dirty making farm equipment work with GPS and output data into a (ultimately) GUI form. Sky's the limit in that field.
            J.D. Hord
            Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

Originally Posted by Hordpower View Post
              Like we PM'd on IG, you should maybe look into "precision agriculture" as a career. A blend of computers, IT, and getting your hands dirty making farm equipment work with GPS and output data into a (ultimately) GUI form. Sky's the limit in that field.
              I agree, I worked in agriculture as an advisor and was involved with Yara Fertilisers on use of the N Sensors (. Supply nutrient according to crop requirement in that area.Lots of opportunity going to be available in that area with fertiliser prices going through the roof.Farmers will be looking for more ways to apply their in puts more accurately.Good luck 6.

Comment

Bon Voyage 6. Hope the best for you.
                88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

Good luck.

"Change" is almost always scary. And almost always good.
                  "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

Thanks guys.

A year. Well, 364 days at this point.

I'm going to see if I can give this an honest run for a year. See how I feel back in it. Bank what I can and make a decision then.

JD makes a very good point.
                    Last edited by 6; 05-23-2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

363.5 left
                      Traffic. It took me 1 hour and 40 min to go 40 miles this morning. They have me in a stupid electric car. Chevy Volt. They are supposed to be buying me a Pathfinder. Can't wait. I can't find a charger near here. Car has 80 miles left. I'm 60 from Hims (my truck) and hoping I make it in traffic...

If it's possible for a fully electric car to feel dated, Chevy pulled it off. It's slow and for a compact car it handles like a truck. Only benefit is leg room. There is pleanty.

​​​
                      Waiting on support for a custom insurance software builder to move the licenses to my new server before I can go.

The memories and feelings are flooding back.

Money is cool.... But...... Damn.. I'd rather be making 60k in a tractor with my dog right now.

Comment

I had that same experience in my home town last weekend. Went to a nephew's graduation and was at the wrong place across the county in another town. Whoops my mistake. 15 minutes later I was 15 miles across the side of the county in the right spot with plenty time to spare. I think the only thing that was driving me bonkers was the sensation I needed to be driving faster, meanwhile everyone in the cities is piddling along at 20 and 25 mph with no urgency. LOL
                        88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                        89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                        90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

Good luck with your new adventure, Andy.
                          If they have you in a Volt, aren't those a hybrid where the gas engine just charges the battery and extends the range?
                          I've only ever lived where there is constant traffic but I am very much looking forward to moving to a very rural area where I don't have to deal with traffic anymore.
                          And I've been doing IT full time for the last 24 years but I was involved here and there since I was in HS.
                          I'm an AD - Azure - O365 - server / network guy right now.

Comment

You in a Volt or a Bolt? Volt takes gas but can be plugged in. Bolt is full EV and I own one, you'll be fine in Traffic and will likely gain range. It gains miles in stop and go but driving at 65+ MPH you'll lose range. If it is a Volt you can gas up and keep driving.

Comment

Actually this line here means you are not in a Bolt. They are fast and have go cart handling 0-60MPH 6.6 seconds. They stopped making Volts in 2016 and they are now very Dated.

"If it's possible for a fully electric car to feel dated, Chevy pulled it off. It's slow and for a compact car it handles like a truck. Only benefit is leg room. There is pleanty."

Comment

Working...
                              X