Apartments.. What's up wit da?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apartments.. What's up wit da?!?

So as most of you know we moved back to Massachusetts.

Welp. I'm making more money than I have made in a while. More than double what I was making before, and I CAN NOT find an apartment I can get and afford.

We are talking one bedrooms for $2800/mo. And these are not luxury.. these are like apartments that where $950 when I left 5 years ago.. Decent neighborhood and town is only up from there. A house in the town I'm staying in would be $6000 a mo +

I'm looking daily. Every decent looking apartment that seems only extremely over priced is a scam. $50 for an application fee, another $50 for a credit check, and then there are the ones that want you to subscribe to a credit service.. the ones that are out of town and just want you to wire a downpayment..

It's NUTS!!

Add on two dogs and not great credit.. insane.

Is that just here? Are you guys seeing the same? Any advice here?

Paying 30-40-50 grand a year for an apartment with AFTER TAX money is absolutely bonkers. Where are people living who work for xYZ corp and make $50k??!
    It worse $12.50/hr at Wendy's??

How does this end?

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Jesus Christ. RV park with a large trailer for your "garage"?
    "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

That's insane. Hopefully something will pop up.
      Some of the houses by me in Illinois have sold for $100,000 more than they were selling for last year.
      Good luck.

Comment

Crazy! $2,800 for 1 bed a few years ago would have gotten you an apartment in Boston on Com' Ave.

I'm sheltered here in the South East, but feel your pain. I left Mass in 2004 because of high cost of living, but the prices you have are insane. Who can afford that type of money?!

Comment

You should try looking for places in So Cal.
          Talk about major sticker shock.

The high cost of living makes your new salary kind of pointless.
          Cost of living and utterly retarded politics are two of the main reasons I am moving out of The People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Comment

You're just spending too much money on avocado toast. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and quit being lazy.

Comment

Its happening even here in Elmira. My daughter was looking for a new apartment, but prices have jumped a lot.
              Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
              I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
                We are talking one bedrooms for $2800/mo.
                That's nuts man, that's more than my mortgage all in.

Comment

Originally Posted by riot View Post

That's nuts man, that's more than my mortgage all in.
                  Its almost twice what my mortgage was when i bought my house during the 2008 bubble. I had the note on just over 200k. . And that was a 1000 sq ft house with a car port, full basement and 1/4 acre. That house would probably sell for well over 300k now. Shoulda kept er'

Comment

On June 6th, I will have lived in the same house for 50 years. Back in 1972, when I moved back to my hometown, my mom helped me find a place to rent. I rented it for a month and a Real-estate agent asked if I wanted to buy it. I said ok. Small town then, bigger now but relatively small than most as everywhere is more crowded. It would be no fun to sell at a profit and buy some other place and have to finance being retired. I do think about getting out of California.
                    Bill,
                    88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

Comment

My sister rents out her flat/apartment today she found out from the agent that the tenant has done a runner owing 2 months rent. It's shit renting but it's equally shit being a landlord

Comment

Originally Posted by Fastmongrel View Post
                        My sister rents out her flat/apartment today she found out from the agent that the tenant has done a runner owing 2 months rent. It's shit renting but it's equally shit being a landlord
                        Welp, if it's north shore mass I'll rent it....

One of the guys who works with me is having to leave his apartment. They raised his rent from $1500/mo to $2600/mo and are going to charge for parking, storage and access to the washer/dryer ON TOP of the $2600.

All that was previously included in the rent.

It's a butty world out there.

Comment

How does this end?
                          In a crash?

Comment

Welp, if it's north shore mass I'll rent it....

One of the guys who works with me is having to leave his apartment. They raised his rent from $1500/mo to $2600/mo and are going to charge for parking, storage and access to the washer/dryer ON TOP of the $2600.

All that was previously included in the rent.

It's a butty world out there.
                            Landlords must be making a killing if they had owned the building for any length of time. I've been using the info in this post during discussions on where this country is heading. Unsustainable IMHO, but I've been wrong before

Comment

A billionaire and a working man have a box of 100 doughnuts. The billionaire takes 99 of the doughnuts and tells the working man immigrants stole your doughnuts then while the working man is on the internet raging about immigrants the billionaire takes a bite out of the last doughnut

Comment

Working...
                              X