Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes Life Gets In The Way

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Sometimes Life Gets In The Way

    I have not been on for about a week because life and health issues just seemed to get in the way.
    Last Tues evening I was awakened by a severe pain in my lower back, mainly on the right side.
    Thought I may have just pulled something but it was much deeper than any previous back pain.
    Tried to go back to sleep but the pain kept getting worse.
    The pain increased to the point where I vomiting nonstop and I was shaking.

    A trip to the ER showed I had kidney stones.
    They pumped my full of pain killers and IV fluids in hopes that I could pass the stones.
    Next morning I was sent home with lots of pain meds, anti-nausea meds and told to drink lots and lots of water to pass the stones.
    Doctor said if the stones don't pass in a few days or the pain gets bad again to go back.

    Situation didn't improve much because I really couldn't keep anything down and even though the pain wasn't excruciating mentally, the body still knew it was hurt bad so the vomiting continued unabated.
    So, Friday afternoon I head back to the ER and they take me in right away.
    Zero wait time.
    They run blood work again and see that my kidney function has begin to suffer.
    That leads to another CT scan and this one shows the stones have moved but are kind of stuck now.
    I get put in a room, more fluids and more pain meds. But this time it's the good stuff. Regular doses of Dilaudid were the only thing that would tame the pain.
    It was a rough night but still no stones.
    Saturday morning the Urologist comes in and says they're going in after them if they are not gone by 6pm.
    And that was what happened, Sat evening at 6pm I was in the OR having the little bastards nuked with a laser and removed.

    Only issue with that procedure is they have to insert a stent at the kidney opening to help the kidney drain and expel anything else running around in there.
    That means I will have to go back in a couple Saturdays so they can do more surgery to remove the stent.
    Until then, it's periodic discomfort and pissing blood.
    The blood has decreased quite a bit from right after the surgery, though. For about 12 hours after the surgery I was pissing cranberry juice.

    Moral of the story? Drink lots and lots of water every day and don't' ignore your body when it tells you it's really hurt.
    Oh, I lost 14lbs from my first visit to the ER to when I went back in a few days later.

    It's been a rough week.

    #2
    Damn dude. That sounds incredibly unpleasant dude. But the good news is..... um ?

    Did you get to keep them?
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

    Comment


      #3
      Just get better. No worries about not being around here if you're sick. Getting old sucks. You made it through. Thanks for checking in and the advice. I'm one of those that's not good about drinking enough water.
      Eric Y.
      NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
      Yuzon Designworks

      Comment


        #4
        Where did it start?

        I got home from jujitsu the other day and had a pain on my right side righ in the back about at the bottom two ribs.... Its not going away quick. Now you have me thinking?
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally Posted by 6 View Post
          Damn dude. That sounds incredibly unpleasant dude. But the good news is..... um ?

          Did you get to keep them?
          I didn't get to keep the stones as they were shattered by a laser into little pieces.
          Normally, I get plenty of fluids during the day, just not enough plain water.
          I'll need to lay off the flavored waters and soft drinks from here on out.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally Posted by 6 View Post
            Where did it start?

            I got home from jujitsu the other day and had a pain on my right side righ in the back about at the bottom two ribs.... Its not going away quick. Now you have me thinking?
            That is about the right spot for kidney stone pain, but if you had them, you'd know it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by bones View Post

              I didn't get to keep the stones as they were shattered by a laser into little pieces.
              Normally, I get plenty of fluids during the day, just not enough plain water.
              I'll need to lay off the flavored waters and soft drinks from here on out.
              Laser is cool.....

              Unfortunately, you are not helping my confidence. I don't drink water... Ever.. I drink 4 rockstar a day, and kool-aid at night. Every now and again a body armor..

              Are you going to start drinking water??? Would that have soled this?

              Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

              Comment


                #8
                I have been drinking 98% water since I got home from surgery and was finally able to keep stuff down.
                Those energy drinks are horrible for your body, regardless of how they may promote any kidney stones.
                My main vise was soft drinks.
                I'm going to have to stick to flavored carbonated water if I want any taste at all from here on out.

                I do not want a repeat of what I am going through now.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I had kidney stones and bladder stones. Urologist told me to drink 1 oz lemon juice in 8oz water daily. Got rid of all of them in 2 months. Urologist said you will never get stones again.
                  Odometer 3946

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
                    I had kidney stones and bladder stones. Urologist told me to drink 1 oz lemon juice in 8oz water daily. Got rid of all of them in 2 months. Urologist said you will never get stones again.
                    It's funny you mention the lemon juice and water thing.
                    I have been drinking lemon water since a few days after I got out of the hospital.
                    I'm hoping that will work as a preventative so I never experience kidney stones again.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I have been down this road before and it’s bumpy to say the least. I experienced all of your symptoms, however I was fortunate to pass it w/o surgery.

                      Following my recent accident, I had a CT scan that revealed several stones in my left kidney, the largest of which was 6-mm in size. I’m hopeful they just stay there and don’t decide to start the journey into the ureter (where all the pain comes from) anytime in the near future. Living here in the “kidney belt” (southeast US) they are a regular occurrence due to the high mineral content in our water. A female friend of mine has delivered two children and one kidney stone. She sez she’ll deliver a baby any day of the week, but passing a stone? Not so much.

                      The lemon water was intriguing, going to get it on my list.

                      I definitely feel for you and hope for a rapid recovery. Best wishes Bones…
                      This forum is entirely dedicated to wasting time and money modifying a slow motorcycle. - joel

                      Nothing like a project to keep you busy, slowly draining funds out of the wallet! - spacetiger

                      Our Hawks have all the power any mature, sensible rider can use on any street or highway without carrying around excessively unnecessary big-bore weight and power - squirrelman

                      Bike builds can be and most time are art and expression. To take something mass produced and impersonal and make something personal that you can't stop staring at as you walk away. There is nothing I find more satisfying than looking at something cool and beautiful and thinking "I made that". - 6

                      Comment


                        #12
                        makes sense - if stones are result of alkaline water then acid in lemon juice would break them down.

                        Thanks for sharing.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally Posted by flyinelvis View Post
                          I have been down this road before and it’s bumpy to say the least. I experienced all of your symptoms, however I was fortunate to pass it w/o surgery.

                          Following my recent accident, I had a CT scan that revealed several stones in my left kidney, the largest of which was 6-mm in size. I’m hopeful they just stay there and don’t decide to start the journey into the ureter (where all the pain comes from) anytime in the near future. Living here in the “kidney belt” (southeast US) they are a regular occurrence due to the high mineral content in our water. A female friend of mine has delivered two children and one kidney stone. She sez she’ll deliver a baby any day of the week, but passing a stone? Not so much.

                          The lemon water was intriguing, going to get it on my list.

                          I definitely feel for you and hope for a rapid recovery. Best wishes Bones…
                          That 6mm stone isn't going to come out on its own, unless it gets dissolved down by what you drink.
                          Hopefully the lemon water will dissolve it and completely get rid of it and any others that may be lurking around in there.
                          Good luck.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hmmm, I guess my daily G&Ts with a jigger of lime juice really are medicinal

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X