Anyone Oval or Drag Race Cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Oval or Drag Race Cars?

Looking around at some racing options for the future. Figure, 2024-2025.... Thinking of drag racing or oval track racing just based off of the tracks that are close and how often I'd be able to race.

Neither are cheap, no racing is cheap, car racing is far less cheap than motorcycle racing... I get it.. but anyone with experience, I'd be interested in your thoughts on how to dip your toe in on a reasonable budget.

Found some cars on racing junk. Seems $5-10k gets you into either sport. Right out the gate drag racing seems cheaper to enter, and also looks a lot less like racing, but more so time trialing.. but a street legal drag car I could use to go to Dan's or the beach on non race days.. so there is that.

(First to say "With age comes a cage" gets a for unoriginality..)

Last edited by 6; 08-12-2022, 07:21 AM.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Drag racing is cheaper...hopefully. Roundy round cars have a bad habit of bouncing off each other and costing many many beer drinking dollars and welding rods.
    Driving a drag car in a stock/street class can be just as competitive as Top Fuel and if you run a stock/street class if your race car breaks, race the wife's car, ya' still get points. If you try to race the wife's car in a roundy round, she WILL be annoyed. A LOT of annoyed.
    Shit box car with a line lock, ignition box with an adjustable rev limiter and you're good to go. Don't try to go FAST till you figure out how to win races.
    One of the tightest drag races I have seen was a street class, between a bone stock '64 Galaxie and a late model Astro van. Handicap start of 4 or 5 seconds, both cut a light of less than 0.005 and it went right to the wire. The Galaxie won with a ET of about 22-23 seconds.... and the crowd went WILD!! (It didn't hurt that the driver of the Galaxie was a young lady... with blond hair and short shorts).
    I raced against an old guy in a Taurus wagon. The guy could cut a .003 light and the same ET (about 18 seconds)...ALL DAY LONG

Comment

What about drag racing a hawk? We have one, add a quick shifter, and good to go.
      Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
      I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

VFR hub...
        Civic rear wheel...
        Car drag tire....

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Originally Posted by ParcNHawk View Post
          VFR hub...
          Civic rear wheel...
          Car drag tire....
          VFR hub already in place.
          Civic wheel available at any junkyard.
          Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
          I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Working...
          X