Musk Takes Over Twitter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...also, MySpace
    Last edited by riot; 11-05-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

And Friendster!

It's sort of interesting watching the Twitter death spiral, advertisers are running for the hills, until they get a handle on what kind of site it will be under Musk. And in the shadow of the Twitter show, Facebook stock is way down and they are losing a ton of advertising as well.

I wonder if Musk has a bunch of put options on Twitter stock, tank it on purpose.
      sears

Comment

It won't be too long and other companies will follow suit. I suspect anyone working from home will be the low hanging fruit. It's very easy for any company that has remote workers to gauge what and how much is going on with their laptops and they will tie that to productivity, fair or not.
        88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
        89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
        90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

At this point it's practically a comedy. Turns out some of that low hanging fruit was vital for operations or development and have been asked to come back. Yeah, I'll come back, but let's talk about my salary first...

And MIT just released a report that it's lost about 1 million users since Musk has taken over. A little over half deactivated their account and the rest, ironically, were given the ban hammer. And folks are having a heyday trolling Musk and impersonating him. Getting banned of course, but no one seems to care.

I have a feeling there are probably about 100 VC's and entrepreneurs trying to figure out what's going to fill the vacuum.
          sears

Comment

I ignored the news yesterday and I guess it looks like Amazon is letting around 10000 people go starting yesterday. Imagine if they had not spent 750 million making the Rings of Power series (that has been highly criticized) and then another 200 million making the New World MMORPG that not many people are playing? Theres a little whoopsie for ya. At last Bezos has another 112'ish million to swim though, Scrooge McDuck style...

My bad, Billion I meant...

image.png

Comment

Yeah, I think facebook is laying off the same amount or maybe a bit more 11,000? Even the smaller tech players are laying off folks too, like Lyft and Crypto. Speaking of that crypto currencies are crashing too , and that FTX collapse looks criminal. And twitter continues to be comically poorly managed, at least it's pretty entertaining. But if these companies are bellweathers then the economic outlook looks pretty bleak. Part of Amazon's stock drop was estimated earnings. Disney is set to make some cost cutting layoffs and hiring freezes as well.

Shortly after posting the above, I found this site that tracks layoffs in tech, kind of interesting:
              [LIVE] Tracking all tech startup layoffs — and lists of employees laid off — since COVID-19. This page is constantly being updated.
              Last edited by halfast; 11-17-2022, 03:27 PM.
              sears

Comment

I am still left wondering at the end of the day how many of these jobs are the remote/work from home jobs. I'm sure some are production related due to their market shifts and similar things they decided not to do (gaming company in the case of Amazon and such). I noticed with my company during covid they had a shift towards remote jobs that were customer service and call support related things so they could avoid people sitting in call centers, which I think is probably not so bad because you are still getting calls routed to you, but I also noticed that about 6 months ago I also stopped seeing them listed. It's let me wondering if those positions are going to be reoriented back to a call center or risk being let go.

Comment

In the tech field, I don't think the remote aspect really plays into it too much. A lot of companies reported increased productivity from their employees working from home, and I don't think remote work is going anywhere, it will probably morph into some days in, some days remote hybrid as the new normal, at least in the tech world. And as far as who specifically is getting layed off, I've read it's across the board, HR, specifically recruiting (make sense), mid level managers and product/project managers and developers and engineers, like you pointed when companies drop a product or project you don't need the engineering staff or managers to maintain them.

sears

Comment

Timely and there is a mention, or at least a waffling about remote work: https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/11/...head-for-exits

But it looks like twitter just lost a lot more employees than they anticipated, and you know, I think I'd take a 3 month severance too, especially if I had dev skills. It'll be interesting to see if the continuing shenanigans affect Tesla stock even more.
                    sears

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

I wonder what changes he plans to make, or will be able to make, and how they will turn out. I don't use twitter, never have, probably wont, but its extremely interesting to see this go down.

Any thoughts or insights into what may be instore after whats possibly the most culturally reliant business purchase in our lifetimes?

Well, Musk reinstated Trump's Twitter account so that's one change. What that means for the platform, maybe more entertainment, if you consider a car crash entertaining.

I don't have a Twitter account and never will.
                      Last edited by Talon; 11-19-2022, 10:12 PM.
                      ASMA #139

Comment

Originally Posted by Talon View Post
                        If you consider a car crash entertaining
                        Im your huckleberry.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Im your huckleberry.

ASMA #139

Comment

Working...
                          X