Vfr500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vfr500

Going to look at an 86 in a couple of hours. 2nd owner, 8000mi, $1400. Your lucky to find anything running, let alone looks half decent, for that price around my parts. Pictures arent great but i dont see any red flags. Questions, comments, or concerns? I know the tire sizes suck. Its my kinda nerdy though, same year i was born, and kinda some hawk lineage there.
    Attached Files

Look HARD.Listen to it.Inspect all the engine cover bolts for wear. Caution.

Comment

steel frame, so where's the Hawk lineage ?

If it doesn't run sweetly (after warming up) and accept throttle, YOU should run !

at such low mileage there should be no worry about the valve problems that plague high-mile examples.

be sure to check the tank interior for rust.

BTW: it's not a VFR , but a VF.
      Last edited by squirrelman; 03-04-2019, 06:45 PM.
      "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

It's a distraction. Focus on your hawk

Comment

Lol. Sorry squirrel i didnt realize they were VF. Ran incredibly. Exteriors not great but still pretty good for a 32 yr old bike. I need some side covers. Believe it or not joel is already working on that for me! Besides that i got home and noticed petcock is leaking. Its like ours unfortunately. And some flakes floating around in the tank. It was a great ride though. Power everywhere and seemed pretty advanced i assume in its day. Hydraulic clutch, fully adjustable suspension. IDK. Im happy. Heres my old lady.
          Attached Files

Comment

Super fun bikes. With higher miles they can often have valve problems;I junked 2 of them when intakes on the left front failed.
            I thought I saw some side panels in my basement at some point last year. I didnít find them with a quick look but will go through some crates tomorrow.

Comment

I think you made a good decision to buy that bike !

be sure to keep revs low if you want the engine to last, and join up at www.VFRWorld.com

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

I appreciate you offering either way. Theres a set on ebay for about $120 shipped. Im assuming thats fair since theyre the only ones!

Comment

joel is a saint and found the panels. In the hardest to reach place in his home! Should we change the thread title? I really didnt know it was a vff. I think i could get used to this v4 stuff squirrelman maybe a vfr in my future!

Comment

This is now absurd.

They fell down into the crack between my basement stairs and workbench. I realized moving the bench is too monumental so Iím cutting a hatch to try and reach them. Itís like the baby who tumbled down the well.

Comment

Originally Posted by mparker View Post
                      joel maybe a vfr in my future!
                      like the comic said, "Take mine, please !"

12-1-17 069.JPG

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/d...804862711.html

Comment

Originally Posted by joel View Post
                        This is now absurd.

They fell down into the crack between my basement stairs and workbench. I realized moving the bench is too monumental so Iím cutting a hatch to try and reach them. Itís like the baby who tumbled down the well.
                        Try fishing? Long piece of rod turned with a hook at the end?

Comment

500 is a fun bike, much lighter than 700 but HP difference is minimal

http://www.facebook.com/VaporBlast

Comment

Awwwww dammit.

I rode this VF500 one single time,when I went as Batman for Halloween, then gave it away to somebody who wanted to put factory color bodywork on it.

Well,I halfass cut a hole to get them and no idea where the F the other one could have gone. Iím not sure if laughing or crying is more fitting now,maybe column A and B.
                            Sorry,thought I could help!

Attached Files

Comment

Its the thought that counts. I was moved when right away someone was ready to help me again. I know where you're coming from though. You just had to get that thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X