New candidate for a motor swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New candidate for a motor swap

If only...this has been rumored and hoped for for years http://dirtbikelover.com/2020-yamaha...KmZnGuiIivk2BA

I wonder if it'll ever see the light of day. Big bore smokers are a blast. Wait, 67.5kg ready to ride??? That's not going to happen!

Comment

https://www.pantheramotorsports.com/us/panthera-hybrid/

I wonder ...did Yammie counterbalance it? I bet they did.

Comment

Fake news, IMO. 500's aren't really that much fun anyway. (heresy, I know)
        J.D. Hord
        Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

My older brother had a CR500 that got named The Satan Master. It was a horrific thing for 15 and 18 year olds and is on the list of "why are they still alive?" but I haven't ridden a 500 in nearly 20 years. Hell,the only thing close to a dirt bike I've had in the past decade is an XR100.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hordpower View Post
            Fake news, IMO. 500's aren't really that much fun anyway. (heresy, I know)
            YZ250 with the 285 kit.......plenty fast.KTM 300 simply the best of all worlds.The old 500's were brutal shakey things.

Comment

Drool......http://www.steveprenticedesign.com/p...e-kart-engine/

Comment

I like 500cc two strokers. They are obscene and fun in a way that only WAY to big on an engine in a light thing can be.

yz500..... Unlikely i would say in my uneducated out of the loop opinion. . How cool wold that bike be to add to the list of shit i want yet will never actually buy.
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I spent time on a CR500 back in the day, the nice mellow 1989+ version or whatever it was. Kinda "yeeha!" for the first few minutes but it didn't take long for the "this thing sucks and is slower around the track than my CR250" to settle in. I simply never saw the appeal. Even a stock 250 was generally quick enough to get the job done. The 450's of today are much faster and nicer to ride than any 500 smoker was. I had a nicely built YZ250 for a while, which I named Pinball, because riding it felt like playing pinball.
                  J.D. Hord
                  Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

Originally Posted by Hordpower View Post
                    I spent time on a CR500 back in the day, the nice mellow 1989+ version or whatever it was. Kinda "yeeha!" for the first few minutes but it didn't take long for the "this thing sucks and is slower around the track than my CR250" to settle in. I simply never saw the appeal. Even a stock 250 was generally quick enough to get the job done. The 450's of today are much faster and nicer to ride than any 500 smoker was. I had a nicely built YZ250 for a while, which I named Pinball, because riding it felt like playing pinball.
                    Is that SP design engine the one you posted a few years back? Kinda remember that.....
                    Smokers? Nothing more fun than a 125........on a tight track...maybe a second off the open class times.Just keep it singing on the pipe and shift like a F1 guy.....

Comment

That Panthera motor is 102hp. HOLY SHIT. $6600 for the E-start version....plus carb and essentials.Pipe....
                      That's the fucker to stick in my rs250 chassis..... If only...
                      Last edited by behindthetimes; 5 Days Ago.

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post

Is that SP design engine the one you posted a few years back? Kinda remember that.....
                        Smokers? Nothing more fun than a 125........on a tight track...maybe a second off the open class times.Just keep it singing on the pipe and shift like a F1 guy.....
                        Learning to ride on a 125 will teach you things that i don't know that a 250f can teach you (though maybe those things are note as necessary to know as bikes get better).

Back when i had cr125's i had a friend with a kx500. That things was sooo00 fucking cool, fun and fast to 13 year old me! Scared me to death. Ill always remember it.

The last time i was at the motocross track i was way faster on my cr250 2 stroke than i was on my yz450.. I just couldn't learn to ride the 450 the way i could ride my 2 stroke. Never did. It didint enter the corners the same, wanted to wheelie out of (or off the side of) the turn instead of rotating through, the engine breaking was excessive from what i was used to. Gear selection was all of a sudden not as important. I didn't get them.

It was when i realized i was too old to want to learn that new trick.
                        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Working...
                        X