No announcement yet.

What is the worst bike you have ever ridden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh boy - worst bike. Well I think the CBR1000F with a bent frame might have been the worst bike, but the bike I just couldn't wait to get off of was the VFR1200DCT.

WW
    Rebooting

Comment

Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
      Oh boy - worst bike. Well I think the CBR1000F with a bent frame might have been the worst bike, but the bike I just couldn't wait to get off of was the VFR1200DCT.

WW
      That's such a disappointment.(the 1200 VFR)The engine is beefy.
      aceColourLanding.png

Comment

1997 Sportster 883. Things literally vibrated off it on spirited rides. Clutch lever and battery connection. As I fixed the second issue along the roadside I decided I'd had enough of glamorous HD character and got my first Hawk.

Plus, looking back I realize I felt compelled to wear a biker costume and ride with angry cruiser face everywhere. I was a total outlaw for sure.
        Last edited by Hawk GT; 12-10-2019, 05:09 PM.
        Jonathan Broga
        90 Hawk
        04 XB12R

Comment

Originally Posted by Hawk GT View Post
          1997 Sportster 883. Things literally vibrated off it on spirited rides. Clutch lever and battery connection. As I fixed the second issue along the roadside I decided I'd had enough of glamorous HD character and got my first Hawk.:
          Is that why I see so many recent 883s at low prices on CL?

Comment

A Savage 250 or Spectre 1100

Comment

Ditto on the Harley 883 Sportster. Worst bike I have ever ridden. Good thing the engine was crappy and vibrated like hell because the brakes felt like they had oil on them. Oh yeah and it was heavy as well. I couldn't find one good thing about it. hmmm, maybe the cool antique sound of an engine that couldn't get out of its own way?

Comment

Has anyone said a stock Hawk GT yet?

Very, very slow, cramped, terrible suspension, horrible on highways, drags hard parts on back roads, wheel to narrow, spongy weak brakes, and the chains are too tight.

Btu really, Harley's, all of them.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post

That's such a disappointment.(the 1200 VFR)The engine is beefy.
                  aceColourLanding.png
                  After owning the standard transmission version I can say it is absolutely one of the best engines ever put in a motorcycle. I found the rest of the bike disappointing - really liked the ST1300 miles better.

WW
                  Rebooting

Comment

1983 CB1000 with sidecar...

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Very, very slow, cramped, terrible suspension, horrible on highways, drags hard parts on back roads, wheel to narrow, spongy weak brakes, and the chains are too tight.

I got my RED 89 with low miles (13,957). It was 100 percent stock once I removed the full Vetter fairing. I am 5'7" so not cramped. Everything seemed to work like new. While stock I hit 100+ mph a few times, had many 100-180 mile days riding and put over 5k on it in 3+ years (I had 3 or more bikes then and still do or it would have been more miles as I average about 10k a year), some of those miles on freeways which my first change was just a short wind screen so no longer stock. Never had any hard parts drag but I don't use all of the good Michelin tires I like on my narrow front rim. I even managed to stop every time I wanted to and I hit nothing. My chain was tight when I bought it but loosened it up and think in the 8,000+ miles I put on it I adjusted it 3 times. In 2018 and 19 it got lots of mods. I don't ride it any more or any less than I did.

I would venture to say if someone thinks a hawk is the worst bike they have ever ridden they have probably owned just a Hawk (and maybe not a good one) and have no frame of reference for a comparison.

PS: I don't hate or bash Harleys. My fist bike was a gift in 1963 from my Dad. A 22 year old 1941 74 Knuckhead with foot clutch/stick shift, no rear suspension, lot of dragging parts, almost no brakes, car like tires but such great memories it could never be the worst. I have owned a 2004 883R and a 2007 1200 Custom Harley. They were ok, I simply changed the type of bike I wanted to ride.
                      Bill,
                      88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, FZ-09. Some Past/sold in reverse order:,97 Magna, 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

Comment

Originally Posted by stpierre View Post
                        1983 CB1000 with sidecar...
                        stpierre

You didn't have the right side car. This is just like the one I had as a Senior in High School. Mine was a Harley 1950 Pan Head with a Harley sidecar. Paint color was Sky Blue. If I adjusted the sidecar cushions it make a bed that I could actually pull the cover over the opening and it became a tent. It was the best chick magnet. Two could get it on in the sidecar (I was a skinny kid then...lol).

bike2wSc.jpg
                        Bill,
                        88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, FZ-09. Some Past/sold in reverse order:,97 Magna, 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

That's funny... after countless CB350-400 hours........the Hawk was a revelation.First time I rode it I knew it was really good.

Comment

It's all relative,if all you ever rode were cruisers a stock Hawk would be incredibly nimble but if your frame of reference is all modern sport bikes then an 80hp Hawk is just going to feel slow.

I have had some kind of fun on pretty much every motorcycle I've ever been on,even the awful ones have made a perverse laugh, but have to say that if I had to pick a least favorite,any of the 70s--mid 80s UJMs and derivatives. All of those CXs,GSs,XJs...whatever are just boring and poorly made;sorry,bolting on a GSXR front end and replacing the seat with a skateboard deck doesn't make them interesting,cool or good.

Cruisers aren't designed to be good for what I want a motorcycle to do so it's unfair to knock them for it. Then again,a cruiser rider isn't going to ride a full on sportbike hard enough to be anything other than top heavy and uncomfortable.

Comment

Joel brings up a bunch of good points, as always. Prior to throwing a leg over a Hawk, I'd only ever ridden cruisers, so a bone stock Hawk was a revelation to me.
                              Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
                              I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post

PS: I don't hate or bash Harleys. My fist bike was a gift in 1963 from my Dad. A 22 year old 1941 74 Knuckhead with foot clutch/stick shift, no rear suspension, lot of dragging parts, almost no brakes, car like tires but such great memories it could never be the worst. I have owned a 2004 883R and a 2007 1200 Custom Harley. They were ok, I simply changed the type of bike I wanted to ride.
                                I don't hate them or unnecessarily bash them either, but my dad also owned one, a 96 Road King. I admittedly rode it as much like a hooligan bike as I could, but managed to vibrate the clutch cable out of play on an early ride, and had to ride the bike home taking a flowing right turn at every stop light and when forced to stop used the starter and what little paddling I could with feet to get going again. Then my experiences on my own felt like they added to the notion that perhaps they hadn't moved as far away from the AMF days as I had supposed. The 883 frankly didn't do a single thing well. Ok it was exceptional at helping me look silly, but that's probably on me.

My dad put 30k on his after my cable adventure without issue. That bike was a great road trip machine. On the other hand I'm lucky the 883 had a peanut tank because my I felt like I was competing in the Iron Butt after 100 miles.

As for the Hawk being very very slow my take is to just hold the throttle open longer, and don't ever coast in any situation. Unless its' a drag race there isn't any reason it would be considered slow on a public road with a spirited rider aboard, from my experience.
                                Last edited by Hawk GT; 12-11-2019, 11:47 AM.
                                Jonathan Broga
                                90 Hawk
                                04 XB12R

Comment

Working...
                                X