I couldn't resist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't resist

Bella.jpg Soooo, as if my garage had any space for another bike, this little gal popped up for sale. 6100 miles, meticulously maintained, Power Commander installed along with new tires and a single axle trailer for two bikes for less than 4k. 2000 Aprilia 60* V-twin Mille R. Extra set of bodywork, spare fuel tank, front and rear pitbull stands, bike chalk, tire warmers, bike cover and she runs perfect. Only bummer is my body. I already have carpal tunnel in my throttle wrist and my back spazzed out after 200 miles.

Keep her and push to get in "bike" shape or sell? I did raise the front end this weekend 1"-ish (maxed out) so I need a few more miles to totally see how it goes.
    Last edited by rogue555; 09-07-2021, 12:56 PM.
    Retired AFM / WERA #555

My goodness, you stole it! But my body can't ride it either. During medieval times, the Italians had torture devices such as the rack and the thumbscrew. Perhaps this is just a modern variation.

Comment

Be warned, like the Hawk/Bros, they are addictive and put a huge smile on your face when you open the throttle! I have a 2002 r spec and love it to bits!
      I would double check the exhaust hanger strap - does'nt look 'factory'
      '90 Bros mk I - 954 front end, vapor digi dash, k-tech cbr1100xx shock, full TBR system, cbr900rr rearsets with cbr600rr pegs, fabitappi hugger and seat converter and cb600f8 wing mirrors

'90 CB-1 - PC frame, cbr1100xx rear shock, 600rr footpegs and rear fender removed

'84 FJ1100 - fzr400rr front calipers

Bros 400/750 project - PGM Africa Twin motor, mkII front wheel, race subframe and rvf rear wheel conversion (in progress!!)

'02 RSV1000R Mille

Comment

Yah, I ordered up some strap material since there is no inventory in the entire world for that exhaust...lol Aprilia and their awesome customer support. I have already contacted several exhaust manufacturers and they all say no, not that size. I make my own then.

And yes, throttle on = joker grin!
        Retired AFM / WERA #555

Comment

Well that's fun. I rode Johnny's at a rally a handful of years back.

What a fun bike.

Looks like you stole it. Track duty or a street bike for you?
          ​​​​​​
          Everytime I start looking at bikes like that
          69Falcon
          RALLYMASTER
          69Falcon and Mrs. Daisy K. have to remind me of the handful of felonies the last big bike got me.

Maybe someday when I'm a little more responsible or have a lot less to loose I'll grab another.. (or if I can ever actually afford track time on a paved track again..)

I wouldn't worry about the strap. Used properly the exhaust should turn into a pancake a few times throughout the life of that motorcycle. ​​​​​​​
          Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

^^ Street for now. I semi swore I would stick to 4 wheels on the track (still need a track day car). Although I did splurge and rode Philip Island on a BMWS1000RR a few years ago. 0 riding for two years to 275kph on the front straight and I was 30 secs slower than MotoGP per lap.. Ain't nearly as gutsy as I used to be.

Retired AFM / WERA #555

Comment

It all makes even more sense when you take it on track! Also an open airbox makes it even more addictive! ROOOOAAAAARRRRR
              '90 Bros mk I - 954 front end, vapor digi dash, k-tech cbr1100xx shock, full TBR system, cbr900rr rearsets with cbr600rr pegs, fabitappi hugger and seat converter and cb600f8 wing mirrors

'90 CB-1 - PC frame, cbr1100xx rear shock, 600rr footpegs and rear fender removed

'84 FJ1100 - fzr400rr front calipers

Bros 400/750 project - PGM Africa Twin motor, mkII front wheel, race subframe and rvf rear wheel conversion (in progress!!)

'02 RSV1000R Mille

Comment

keep it, get a good physio and surgeon to repair and maintain your body as the solution

Comment

Originally Posted by rogue555 View Post
                  ^^ Street for now. I semi swore I would stick to 4 wheels on the track (still need a track day car). Although I did splurge and rode Philip Island on a BMWS1000RR a few years ago. 0 riding for two years to 275kph on the front straight and I was 30 secs slower than MotoGP per lap.. Ain't nearly as gutsy as I used to be.
                  I've been more and more thinking of a race car. But as far as I can tell car racing seems to be roughly 5-10x more expensive than motorcycle racing.

I can put a rave bike together for 2500-5000 depends the discipline and can race from $50-$500 an event depending on discipline. Speedway I'm starting to make money back on race weekends.. road racing not so much.

I could actually turn a profit racing speedway if I continue to progress on this curve.

Race cars seem to be $10k and up, $50k for a good dirt car is cheap.

There isn't a "real" form of car racing that I think is reasonable unless I where to try and do a bracket drag car. Even the oval track "stock" neons and such (thunder car back home) are extremely expensive. The first "real" division would be something like Road Runner which are now essentially tube frame 4 cyl race cars at this point. $10k is a mid pack car.

Also I fully believe that motorcycle racing outcomes are 80% rider 20% bike. Maybe even 95-5 on dirt. But the car racing is that inverted.

I can not afford to buy my way into a competitive rave car.

A class needs to be created that focuses skill over car and keeps cost down and track time up. But I just don't see it happening.

I need a second and third job to race cars. Then wins won't feel satisfying because I will have bought them.

Comment

Honestly I just want to freedom a track provides (bike or car). I am self driven and a mean critic of my skills so put me on a track all by myself and I would be happy...for now. I don't need to compete to feel satisfied.
                    Retired AFM / WERA #555

Comment

^^ rode Philip Island on a BMWS1000RR .
                      how good is phillip island - so fast, so fun, its 6 hours from my front door

Comment

How good is Philip Island...well on a cold and cloudy day (like when I went) it is beautiful but very nerve racking. I was waiting for good feeling from the front but never really got it. I think it was the used Dunlops that I didn't gel with. If it was warm and I had good tire...whaooo they would have to tackle me off the bike. It is a must for any rider/racer. Sooo much full throttle and lots of room and differing lines. I want to go back, but in the summer. Turn 1 takes super balls if you want to cut a fast lap time. It also didn't help that the bike rental peeps would remind everyone, every session to go easy into 1. I guess too many 100mph low sides over the years.

Never hesitate an offer to go rider there...even in the rain. If you had to roll around on a bicycle it would still be worth it. All my local tracks except Laguna are pretty much crap so I am super jealous of real MotoGP style tracks.
                        Retired AFM / WERA #555

Comment

How good is Philip Island...well on a cold and cloudy day (like when I went) it is beautiful but very nerve racking. I was waiting for good feeling from the front but never really got it. I think it was the used Dunlops that I didn't gel with. If it was warm and I had good tire...whaooo they would have to tackle me off the bike. It is a must for any rider/racer. Sooo much full throttle and lots of room and differing lines. I want to go back, but in the summer. Turn 1 takes super balls if you want to cut a fast lap time. It also didn't help that the bike rental peeps would remind everyone, every session to go easy into 1. I guess too many 100mph low sides over the years.

Never hesitate an offer to go rider there...even in the rain. If you had to roll around on a bicycle it would still be worth it. All my local tracks except Laguna are pretty much crap so I am super jealous of real MotoGP style tracks.
                          I've always wanted to ride at Laguna. Being a Loudon local we get rear used to vertical concrete run off areas and rough pavement.

When I get to go someplace else it's always like damn... This is nice.

Summit point and Roebling are my favorite tracks. I'm not. Adam of NJMP. Maybe it's changed since I was there last, but there is no personality to the place. It's like hanging out in a huge parking lot with a race track there . . . Summit by contrast feels like you are at a campground/golf course with a race track.

Speaking of golf course tracks.... When I lived in Savannah in the early 2000's Hutchinson Island Memorial Speedway was recently abandoned, talk about free fun track time! No longer... But was cool back then.

Comment

Laguna is pretty epic, but I only got to race there twice before it got locked up by local old people and noise restraints.
                            We raced Button Willow (which is like riding in the desert), flat, fast and flowing, but a decent layout and kinda bumpy.
                            Willow Springs (which is like racing in the desert), some elevation, fast, flowing and dangerous as all F (two dislocated jaw at that joint).
                            Thunder Hill (which is like racing in dried out weed field), fast, flowing and relatively nice except a lot of off camber crap.
                            Sears Point, a mostly proper track, med speed, a lot of elevation changes, blind apexes and dangerous as all F with cement walls built for NASCAR.
                            Miller Motorsports (near Salt Lake City), my favorite on the west coast-ish. Flat-ish, fast, flowing, nearly 1k front straight, nice runoff and great for racing in the rain. WSBK quality track.
                            I did get to race Road Atlanta, that is a must track. Very traditional with a little of everything and a blast to ride. Felt like I was racing at Monza or something. A little dangerous but overall a great track. Fast and flowing for sure. Need a good rhythm.
                            Retired AFM / WERA #555

Comment

Working...
                            X