Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Hawk

I saw this bike the other day, thought you maybe interested, it is an early 1930s Matchless Silver Hawk V4,

Photos? Links? I wanna see it!

Comment

IMG_20210907_103333.jpg IMG_20210907_103349 (1).jpg sorry about that, thought I had put the pictures on

Comment

Absolutely awesome!!
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

What an old beauty! I wish could buy this beast.

Comment

I am still trying to visualize how and where they had gears to turn the crank output 90 degrees. Or did they? I guess that makes a case for more research on this model.

Comment

So sweet

Comment

It is the same configuration as the triumph parked next to it, the crank running across the frame, a narrow v4 running on one crank

Comment

Yes, now I get it. A long stroke and 28 degree V four. But just like the early Ariel Square Fours, it did not breathe very efficiently. But 80 mph in England in 1931 was adequate.

Comment

After consulting my copy of Vic Willoughby's Classic Motorcycles, I understand some interesting parallels between the Matchless Silver Hawk (1930-35) and the Honda Hawk GT650 (1988-1991). Both were innovative and made to a high standard of quality. Both were expensive. In 1931, the 600 cc Silver Hawk had rear springing and a flexible V-4 engine. Granted, the V-4 was very complex and took a good mechanic to adjust the cam drive gears, while rebuilding the lower end was a real challenge. The world wide depression was in full swing. As Willoughby said, "...there are more customers for cheap performance than there are for expensive refinement."

Silver Hawk.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X