Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Car/Truck: What do you drive and why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Your Car/Truck: What do you drive and why?

    Most of us have similar taste motorcycles it seams.

    Curious what 4 wheeled vehicles everyone drives, why, how long, etc. . .

    So if y'all are up for it, let's talk cars.

    (Anyone that knows me and my truck need not read this post from here down... I'm just trying to start the conversation, not be repetitive)

    I'm boring as can be. I have a 2004 Silverado 2500hd. It's beat up outside, average inside and I would argue it's one of the nicer ones out there underneath. It works very hard and gets all the mechanical care I can think to give it.

    It's 4x4, rugged enough, capable in the fields, trails, woods when I need it out there.. comfortable on the roads, easy to get parts for, has a decent aftermarket, not to nice to work it hard, not too shitty to enjoy driving it. Absolutely love it.

    The 6 litre hasn't been an issue. Reliable, easy to get parts for, has the power for everything I need it to do. Even towed my Bobcat before in a pinch.

    Last night a couple, few horses where getting rowdy up in the f2/f3 fields and took down a bit of fence... Chevy to the rescue.

    IMG_20211009_182638.jpg


    ​​​​
    Not sure i can say enough good about this thing.

    Photo shoot time.
    IMG_20211009_183242.jpg

    We have a duramax dually as well. It's loaded, has a tv, leather, etc. It's nicer, more powerful, better mileage, turning radius of an ocean liner. I like mine better.. I may pull a leather interior out of one of those bad boys for mine though. Haha

    Main reason I have it though, it was free. My work gave it to me when they decided to retire it @ 92k miles and I needed a truck.
    ​​
    My wife has a 96 civic that she absolutely couldn't live with out now hates with a passion. I like the civic... Drive it now and then.

    So,

    What's your ride, why, and how do you like it? Bonus points for what you want next.
    Last edited by 6; 10-11-2021, 07:51 AM.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

    #2
    I drive a boring 2012 Honda Pilot most of the time when not riding. Mostly for the AWD and a little bit of towing capacity (3000#). I also like room for Costco trips, luggage, and at the time I got it 3 dogs.

    I also have a just for fun car, 2000 BMW M Roadster for top down driving in the summer. Thing is a hoot, almost as fun as the motorcycles but not quite.
    Brian - Richland, WA
    1991 Hawk GT
    1997 VFR

    Comment


      #3
      Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
      I drive a boring 2012 Honda Pilot most of the time when not riding. Mostly for the AWD and a little bit of towing capacity (3000#). I also like room for Costco trips, luggage, and at the time I got it 3 dogs.

      I also have a just for fun car, 2000 BMW M Roadster for top down driving in the summer. Thing is a hoot, almost as fun as the motorcycles but not quite.
      Those M Roadsters are starting to get some real following no? I remember chasing one around with my Daytona back in 2000. It was like a game of cat and mouse all around Rowley, the dude was just F'ing with me. Having fun showing off to the kids. I didn't have a prayer until he'd slow down to wait on me. I've wanted to drive one since then.

      2012 the pilot was still more SUV right? capable at all off the roads ?
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

      Comment


        #4
        After 66 cars and 41 bikes I guess I like what ever I have now or will have. Carvana just picked up my 2016 Volt and Ford should be building my Hybrid Maverick 4 door pickup that should get 40mpg some time in November (starts at $20K). My Honda 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) and 2 Hawks will keep me in the bike world till I stop riding. My wife's Prius is bulletproof so will be around for awhile. I have had some cool cars, FAST cars, junkers, and just ok ones. Only a few trucks. Longest owned 12 years shortest owned <1 day. I think I am at the point Bikes are fun, a good car/truck is just nice to have.
        Bill,
        88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally Posted by 6 View Post

          Those M Roadsters are starting to get some real following no? I remember chasing one around with my Daytona back in 2000. It was like a game of cat and mouse all around Rowley, the dude was just F'ing with me. Having fun showing off to the kids. I didn't have a prayer until he'd slow down to wait on me. I've wanted to drive one since then.

          2012 the pilot was still more SUV right? capable at all off the roads ?
          The Pilot is an SUV but not for off road. Not heavy duty enough for off-road but fairly bullet proof otherwise.

          Yes, the BMW is getting a following. I've only had it 1 1/2 years but it is worth pretty much double what I paid for it. I bought it for $7500 and put in about $500 in repairs and upgrades, $1800 to get the hood painted but it is worth about $15k now.
          Brian - Richland, WA
          1991 Hawk GT
          1997 VFR

          Comment


            #6
            2006 Toyota 4-runner that’s getting close to 250k on the odo. I love it and hope I can drive it forever. The 4x4 gets me to my local ski hill during the harshest Wisconsin snowstorms. It’ll pull my old mans boat around no problem. Seats are comfy as hell and heated, alpine 1/4 din head unit w/ back up camera makes it modern and bump. Black with black 20’s makes me feel cool. Has a removable 3rd row seat for the kids I don’t have.

            91’ Toyota mr2 project car that’s in storage after moving. It runs and drives but I don’t consider it road worthy. Also mice own it now. After I found my hawk on FB marketplace the mr2 became the “back burner project”. They space I have right now means the hawk gets all the attention.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post
              After 66 cars and 41 bikes I guess I like what ever I have now or will have. Carvana just picked up my 2016 Volt and Ford should be building my Hybrid Maverick 4 door pickup that should get 40mpg some time in November (starts at $20K). My Honda 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) and 2 Hawks will keep me in the bike world till I stop riding. My wife's Prius is bulletproof so will be around for awhile. I have had some cool cars, FAST cars, junkers, and just ok ones. Only a few trucks. Longest owned 12 years shortest owned <1 day. I think I am at the point Bikes are fun, a good car/truck is just nice to have.
              I saw Doug demuros video on the mavric. Seems like a pretty cool little truck.

              Not going to lie... I initially thought, welllp, if I wanted a small ford truck I could build a hell of a lil ranger for that much money.

              Funny bill, you are a bit older than I, but you are willing to go and try all the new stuff.

              I hear electric, hybrid or DCT and I'm like "Naw, I'll take a 98 ranger with manual lockers and a 5 speed.. thanks tho." (This is living in a world where we pretend I had any money haha)

              And you are like "Well that's cool. Sure I'll try"

              I'm a 39 year old, old grumpy guy, "get off my lawn style".

              @ 70 you are out there living, learning and trying new shit..

              Respect.


              Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by bk94si View Post

                The Pilot is an SUV but not for off road. Not heavy duty enough for off-road but fairly bullet proof otherwise.
                This is where the new car companies are confusing me (lucky for them I'm not the market they are shooting for). Wasn't the s in suv for sport, and wasn't that sport off roading? Obviously the market isn't there for it any more, but still in my brain I see and SUV and wonder how it does in the trails.

                Borrowed a pathfinder from a friend a couple of months back. A PATH FINDER. If you found that path with it you would have had better luck in Kristens civic. I had a 98 pathfinder, that thing was a beast in the woods.

                ​​​​​​Anyone besides ford still make a off road SUV?


                Originally Posted by bk94si View Post

                Yes, the BMW is getting a following. I've only had it 1 1/2 years but it is worth pretty much double what I paid for it. I bought it for $7500 and put in about $500 in repairs and upgrades, $1800 to get the hood painted but it is worth about $15k now.
                Ya, i had noticed that.. but didn't want to talk about your money... Not polite to talk about someone else's money my mom always taught me. Haha.

                I bet they keep rising.


                Those early 2000s BMW's are very special cars. My mom had a 98 540, my step dad an 01 m3. What exceptional cars they where. A step above the rest imo. Always wanted to drive an M Roadster.

                ​​​
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally Posted by Crash_Override View Post
                  2006 Toyota 4-runner that’s getting close to 250k on the odo. I love it and hope I can drive it forever. The 4x4 gets me to my local ski hill during the harshest Wisconsin snowstorms. It’ll pull my old mans boat around no problem. Seats are comfy as hell and heated, alpine 1/4 din head unit w/ back up camera makes it modern and bump. Black with black 20’s makes me feel cool. Has a removable 3rd row seat for the kids I don’t have.

                  91’ Toyota mr2 project car that’s in storage after moving. It runs and drives but I don’t consider it road worthy. Also mice own it now. After I found my hawk on FB marketplace the mr2 became the “back burner project”. They space I have right now means the hawk gets all the attention.
                  Those mid late 00- early teen tacos and 4 runners are also starting to get. Avoid bit of a following. Lots of guys think they are the last of the thoroughbreds far as small truck Toyota's.

                  Nice to have that third row for those kids you don't have. Can always stick subs back there.

                  Chuck's got a Tacoma, that's a fucking fantastic truck too.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally Posted by 6 View Post

                    This is where the new car companies are confusing me (lucky for them I'm not the market they are shooting for). Wasn't the s in suv for sport, and wasn't that sport off roading? Obviously the market isn't there for it any more, but still in my brain I see and SUV and wonder how it does in the trails.

                    Borrowed a pathfinder from a friend a couple of months back. A PATH FINDER. If you found that path with it you would have had better luck in Kristens civic. I had a 98 pathfinder, that thing was a beast in the woods.
                    Anyone besides ford still make a off road SUV?

                    Just me but personally, I would not take anything off road except a truck or a few of the Jeeps, maybe a 4Runner.

                    Brian - Richland, WA
                    1991 Hawk GT
                    1997 VFR

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'd take any Subaru anywhere.

                      If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

                      The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The GM 6.0 power trains are beastly. Easy to make about 100 more horsepower power with a cam and tune as well and that 4l80E trans will handle it all day long. The unfortunate thing about the modern GM trucks is how they seem to rust out so easily though but I reckon with all the New England area weather it's probably just as bad as any other vehicle given those factors. I just know even down here in Texas they seem to be rustbuckets, but that just makes it better when it comes time to go find one in a salvage yard to pull out that 6.0 LS and 4l80E, and they only have about 130K on it. They have great seats during those years as well.
                        88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                        89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                        90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally Posted by 6 View Post

                          I saw Doug demuros video on the mavric. Seems like a pretty cool little truck.

                          Not going to lie... I initially thought, welllp, if I wanted a small ford truck I could build a hell of a lil ranger for that much money.

                          Funny bill, you are a bit older than I, but you are willing to go and try all the new stuff.

                          I hear electric, hybrid or DCT and I'm like "Naw, I'll take a 98 ranger with manual lockers and a 5 speed.. thanks tho." (This is living in a world where we pretend I had any money haha)

                          And you are like "Well that's cool. Sure I'll try"

                          I'm a 39 year old, old grumpy guy, "get off my lawn style".

                          @ 70 you are out there living, learning and trying new shit..

                          Respect.

                          Thanks much 6 , but you got to remember I have been car and bike swapping for 58 years. Started at 15. You have lots of time to add notches to your belt. I too had a Ranger 4cylinder 5 speed 1997 year model. Liked it too. Traded it for a SportTrac 4 door truck, really liked it.

                          You are right, I like to change things and try things. I rarely bought new. Did a lot of cleaning and fixing used stuff and rarely sold under what I had in them. Only 6 new bikes and 7 new cars over those 107 vehicles in 58 years. Many people don't realize what they spend on cars over a lifetime. Taxes, licenses, insurance, repairs, gas. etc. Often as much or more than the cost of a modest house. At least cars are more fun.

                          I remember age 39. I was into Volvo P1800 Coupes then. Had like 5 of them. They all had a British electric overdrives bolted to the tail of the 4 speed. It made a very long and heavy assembly. I had a bad one in a 62 P1800 so I found a 67 rust bucket and in one day I pulled 2 assemblies stuffed 1 and drove it out of my driveway, all in 1 day by myself with a floor jack, ramps and some wrenches. You are much more capable than I was at your age. I still can't weld...lol And, you can't be the "old" grumpy guy yet but you can be "the grumpy guy".
                          Bill,
                          88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally Posted by bk94si View Post

                            Just me but personally, I would not take anything off road except a truck or a few of the Jeeps, maybe a 4Runner.
                            I dont have a lot of choice with my job and where i live, whatever i drive needs to be able to handle rugged terain (or at least it helps a LOT if it can). On top of that.. Driving in the woods has been a thing since i was a kid. In high school if you wanted to get to the party, you had to be able to make it down the trails. . . You would be amazed at some of the things i have driven in the woods haha. Not saying tis smart, but i find myself off road often.
                            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post


                              I remember age 39. I was into Volvo P1800 Coupes then. Had like 5 of them. They all had a British electric overdrives bolted to the tail of the 4 speed. It made a very long and heavy assembly. I had a bad one in a 62 P1800 so I found a 67 rust bucket and in one day I pulled 2 assemblies stuffed 1 and drove it out of my driveway, all in 1 day by myself with a floor jack, ramps and some wrenches. You are much more capable than I was at your age. I still can't weld...lol And, you can't be the "old" grumpy guy yet but you can be "the grumpy guy".
                              I literally laughed out loud.

                              Just googled the p1800. . . Thats a COOL car. Damn. Never knew that was a thing. Bet they are not easy to ind these days. Looks like a 280z mated with a 275 gtb. Fast?

                              "with a floor jack, ramps and some wrenches"
                              Most people don't understand just how much harder it is doing things like that when you don't have a full shop at your disposal. ITs bloody knuckles, cursing and pure will power to do work like that. I do it when i have to Its always extremely satisfying when that thing pulls off the ramps.
                              Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X