Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBR954RR - because I was left alone without adult supervision

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CBR954RR - because I was left alone without adult supervision

    This popped up on Craigslist a few weeks back. Was a bit of a drive (3 hours) in snowy conditions but I've been thinking to myself: Self, you liked the 900rr and 929rr in the past, but you never tried 954rr? Hell - I only live once.

    She has low miles (12k) a rock hard front tire, leaking forks, dead battery, scratches but no bruises, newish rear tire, chain and sprockets, braided lines and a Scorpion slip on (bolt on) can. Sitting on the bench are new battery (Lightweight), new front tire to match the back (Q3+), HH pads, air filter, and all fluids. The purpose for this bike is to remind me I'm old, and that I really don't need a Tuono 1100 (or, do I?). It is also going to stay in the flock for my local riding buddies to get the idea of small liter bike with almost racing crouch out of their system, or perhaps fall in love with it and buy it off me before the Tuono comes!

    Plan is a light restoration over the next few weeks, probably throw a power commander in it, perhaps adjust valves (nah - it's a Honda) and just ride her next season for fun, mostly in 30-40 minute jaunts.I'll end up pulling all the bodywork off, scrubbing down the desert alkali dust, checking everything out and then slapping her back together. Honestly it is only a solid day or two of work if I jump into it, but with record snowfall right now - I'll take my time.

    WW/R

    Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 7.23.15 AM.png

    Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 7.22.49 AM.png
    Attached Files
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

    #2
    Oooooo! Please, keep this story and pics going!

    My knees and back are no longer cooperating with my desires, so ... I must pursue my fantasy fulfillment through others!

    Guess What? Today ... you win!
    Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

    Comment


      #3
      Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
      Plan is a light restoration over the next few weeks,
      Being able to ride from point A to Point B does not mean you have skills.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally Posted by jspeed53 View Post
        Oooooo! Please, keep this story and pics going!

        My knees and back are no longer cooperating with my desires, so ... I must pursue my fantasy fulfillment through others!

        Guess What? Today ... you win!
        Same here. No more double R's for me. But, I'll watch with jealousy! Don't forget some vids. In-line fours still sound the best to me.
        Eric Y.
        NT663, VFR800 & Vespa LX80
        Yuzon Designworks

        Comment


          #5
          Originally Posted by slo1 View Post

          No, seriously...I'm not going to take it any further apart than I must! In fact rebuilt forks, fresh front rubber and brake pads went on today. If there weren't snow and ice on the road - I'd ride her.

          Next up is a full detail and air filter. Rest of fluids already done. Probably find a PC5 and slap it in there too, just because I'll still come in under budget

          WW/R

          Edit: I wonder if I can get it under 400 lbs with full tank of fuel
          Life is a journey, not a destination.

          Comment


            #6
            I put a PC3 on my VFR8 along with the big tube SS headers. Got rid of the mid range flat spot that was right at highway speeds. Nice seat of the pants power boost.

            I determine how far I go based on the odds of keeping it. After a certain point of financial and time investment, it becomes a keeper. Sounds like this is just passing thru?
            Eric Y.
            NT663, VFR800 & Vespa LX80
            Yuzon Designworks

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by eyhonda View Post
              I put a PC3 on my VFR8 along with the big tube SS headers. Got rid of the mid range flat spot that was right at highway speeds. Nice seat of the pants power boost.

              I determine how far I go based on the odds of keeping it. After a certain point of financial and time investment, it becomes a keeper. Sounds like this is just passing thru?
              Probably stick around for at least 2 riding seasons. My real keeper is the FJ09 (Ktech cartridges/shock, ECU flash, full exhaust sitting on the bench waiting to go on). Goal is to put 50k miles on the FJ09 in this life. Another goal is to at least try Tuono 1100

              Initial rides on this didn't suggest in any way that power delivery was an issue...but then again with a front tire that had about as much traction as a snow ball, I wasn't pursuing any limits.

              WW/R
              Life is a journey, not a destination.

              Comment


                #8
                Very nice Bill. So far so good.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Those are some nice looking wings!!!!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Bike is 100% ready for some test rips - but low temps and sheet ice all over the roads here along with packed/snow ice base makes this type of motorcycling a no-go for a bit longer. I'll have to just detail and massage the bikes for the next couple of weeks it appears. Air filter and 100% fluids done now. Cheap Amazon lightweight battery installed because I might as well be the guinea pig, and Scotts damper needs to go on too.

                    WW/R
                    Life is a journey, not a destination.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Honda sure does make some sexy looking bikes!
                      I haven't been on a crotch rocket in some time so I don't know if the riding position would get to me or not.
                      It would be a toss up as to which would go first, my wrists or my back.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Update. All maintenance complete, now it's time for legit detail work. I took it for a spin and it is far better than I would have guessed. Only 41 degrees and fresh rubber so nothing too crazy, but what a great engine this has. Can't wait for spring (and this didn't help convince me not to want a Tuono 1100 V4, in fact I'm dead set on it now).

                        WW/R

                        Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.11.01 PM.png
                        Life is a journey, not a destination.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          BOTM? I thought I had already suggested this, but looking back I guess I didn't:

                          https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...-project-bikes

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
                            Update. All maintenance complete, now it's time for legit detail work. I took it for a spin and it is far better than I would have guessed. Only 41 degrees and fresh rubber so nothing too crazy, but what a great engine this has. Can't wait for spring (and this didn't help convince me not to want a Tuono 1100 V4, in fact I'm dead set on it now).

                            WW/R

                            Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.11.01 PM.png
                            Yes Tuono or No Tuono???

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Yes Tuono. Perhaps not this season, but next. And, I really want 2021+.

                              This is pretty tempting though.

                              https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3-35e5aacb9fa4

                              WW/R

                              Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 3.34.31 PM.png

                              Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 3.33.52 PM.png
                              Last edited by wildwhl; 1 Week Ago.
                              Life is a journey, not a destination.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X