Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick took Hawk for a ride today.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Maverick took Hawk for a ride today.

    Today I figured out how I will haul one of my Hawks in my new Ford Hybrid Maverick Truck that has been getting 40+mpg. I have a bed mat and trifold soft cover. I removed the cover but left the bed mat. Next thing was to place metal struts that I had made yesterday out of aluminum 1/8-inch angle metal to support the tailgate (not the cables) because the short bed requires a motorcycle's rear wheel to sit on the tailgate. I had a 2002 Ford Sport Trac that also required that because it had a short bed, so I know what was required. The Maverick payload it 1553 pounds including people and cargo. I have 8 tiedowns in the bed and 2 on the tailgate. Ramps fit under the Hawk. I use 2 long folding ramps, one to power the bike up into the bed and one for me to walk on to balance it at it goes up the other ramp. Getting a bike off does not require the bike running but I still use 2 ramps

    After loading and tying it down, I drove around town and country for about 10 miles. Very solid. When I got back home and unloaded the Hawk, I ran my new (Last June) Honda 1100 Rebel DCT. It runs 502 pounds but loaded about the same as the Hawk. I did not tie it down and drive with it in the back of truck today. I know now that my little hybrid truck can haul either a Hawk or the 1100.

    IMG_7714.jpg IMG_7715.jpg IMG_7719.jpg IMG_7721.jpg


    Last edited by BillnOroville; 01-20-2022, 10:46 PM.
    Bill,
    88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

    #2
    You know what Harley's and hippies have in common right? They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks​​​​​​ ​​​
    "Hawk Porn" http://picasaweb.google.com/11124379...eat=directlink 1990 NT650-Penske 8981, Race-tech Springs & Gold Valves, Steve Lenac six-piston caliper & EBC rotor,SS Brake lines Ft / Rear lines through SSA ,VFR brake lever, F2 front wheel, F-120/70 R-160/60 Dunlop Roadsmart, Full-Supertrapp Exhaust, Stage 1 Jet kit, K&N Filter, Corbin Seat, Pro-Tec Clip-On's/ Past Rides...1986 VFR700F2 Interceptor / 1979 Yamaha Rd400 Daytona Special

    Comment


      #3
      Good solution! I have wondered about this possibility.

      Comment


        #4
        Very cool Bill!

        Question.
        .when I tie down a bike I use two straps, top of the forks/bars pulling down and forward pulling the front tire into the back of the bed.

        You tie the 1100 down similar but your front straps are lower than i do, and the hawk you have rear straps on the bike as well.

        Is this something you do as an extra precaution, or is it something about that truck bed specifically?

        Glad you can get them both in there and that ramp angle! That's nice... I have to hit my ramps are 10-15 mph riding the bikes to get them up!
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally Posted by 6 View Post
          Very cool Bill!

          Question.
          .when I tie down a bike I use two straps, top of the forks/bars pulling down and forward pulling the front tire into the back of the bed.

          You tie the 1100 down similar but your front straps are lower than i do, and the hawk you have rear straps on the bike as well.

          Is this something you do as an extra precaution, or is it something about that truck bed specifically?

          Glad you can get them both in there and that ramp angle! That's nice... I have to hit my ramps are 10-15 mph riding the bikes to get them up!
          Yes my fork strap is a little low but when I try higher up I don't like what the strap might stress or touch. The angle is a little less with mine but I think is fine to keep it upright. I have always used rear straps to share the side loading with the front straps and also keep the forces pulling into the bed. I have many straps and why not use them. I know when I leave the house with the tailgate down I will not have any issues or worries so yes, I like a little precaution.
          Bill,
          88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post

            Yes my fork strap is a little low but when I try higher up I don't like what the strap might stress or touch. The angle is a little less with mine but I think is fine to keep it upright. I have always used rear straps to share the side loading with the front straps and also keep the forces pulling into the bed. I have many straps and why not use them. I know when I leave the house with the tailgate down I will not have any issues or worries so yes, I like a little precaution.
            Ya, I have issues when I strap some bikes with what they straps hit or rub on or put pressure on. Never thought to just go low in those cases.

            I'll try that next time I run into that situation.

            Just curious. I haul a lot of bikes around but I don't claim to be the end all be all of motorcycle transport so I figured I'd ask.

            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

            Comment


              #7
              I’ve hauled bikes with just 2 straps, but like Bill I’ve got a ton of them, so usually use 4. Overkill? Maybe. But the peace of mind on a long haul is comforting.
              Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
              I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

              Comment


                #8
                It's overkill... until it's not.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

                If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

                The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

                Comment


                  #9
                  I like what you did with the tailgate.
                  Brian - Richland, WA
                  1991 Hawk GT
                  1997 VFR

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Great setup. I was looking at the Maverick last week wondering if it would allow hauling a bike. Now I know. Thank you.

                    Is the bed 4.5 feet withoutthe tailgate? I noticed a couple different trims/options.
                    ASMA #139

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally Posted by Talon View Post
                      Great setup. I was looking at the Maverick last week wondering if it would allow hauling a bike. Now I know. Thank you.

                      Is the bed 4.5 feet without he tailgate? I noticed a couple different trims/options.

                      You only get 1 size bed no matter what trim you get. I think I measured with the angle shown is 70 inches from off center to the left front position for front tire and off center right position for rear tire on the tailgate is 70 inches. I could have gained some at each end if I stuck the front in the corner and put the rear more to the right. The tailgate is supposed to support 400 pounds I think.

                      If cruise control was offered in base unit I would have gotten the XL. I got the base XLT because it has cruise. In that package they included the alloy wheels, remote locking tailgate, upgraded seat fabric (but I never seen what was in the XL in person), plus some other little things. When you get to the Lariat trim and all the other options it really make the truck not so much of a bargain. The base is hard to ignore for the money even with new 2022 prices increases. Lots are buying the Maverick instead of a small SUV that costs more and often gets less MPG. A truck bed is pretty useful.
                      Bill,
                      88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post


                        You only get 1 size bed no matter what trim you get. I think I measured with the angle shown is 70 inches from off center to the left front position for front tire and off center right position for rear tire on the tailgate is 70 inches. I could have gained some at each end if I stuck the front in the corner and put the rear more to the right. The tailgate is supposed to support 400 pounds I think.
                        Good info.

                        ASMA #139

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X