The New Hawk11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Hawk11

The new Hawk11 debuts at the Osaka Motorcycle Show on March 19. It is basically an Africa Twin with 17 inch wheels. I'm sure we will have a lot of opinions.

Hawk11.png

Love my 1100 DCT Rebel. Motor is amazing with max torque at 5k, and 54mpg is too. I see many parts on the 11 that are on the 1100 bike. Will be interesting knowing specs like seat height and bike weight. Could this be more like a new VFR type series more than a sport bike. Just a thought.
    Bill,
    88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

Comment

I've seen a partial side view... I think the tank is gonna be a little too "Rebel" for my taste. Needs a flat-topped tank to complete the look, but I don't think the re-purposed frame would allow it.
      "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

Originally Posted by ricksax View Post
        I'm sure we will have a lot of opinions.
        Hawk owners with opinions? Nah

ASMA #139

Comment

engine.png

Here's what I saw, think it's a still from a teaser.

Comment

I was talking with Eric about this...

Honda when they made the hawk built a good bike, with some shitty components, but. A good bike at a time when most bikes where junk.

Some people saw this. Erion brothers happened, a legend was born. It was the perfect storm, this neat well built little track weapon dressed up in commuter cloths.. the guys in the know fell in love.

Today most bikes are good bikes, you can't make or sell a simple bike any longer, simplicity is the key to the hawk... It was a good bike, and simple...that's not going to happen today.

In my opinion there won't ever be a new hawk gt. There can't be. Times have moved on and nothing will do justice to the name plate.

Talk of a "new hawk" has been going on as long as I've been here and i just can not picture a bike that can wear the name rightfully.
            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Boy, it really depends on what you say is the defining character of the Hawk.

The big key points would be:
              • Naked standard
              • Street oriented (torquey) motor
              • Advanced chassis (light & nimble)
              • Low cost (at least nowadays)
              Recall that the hawk was a middleweight when the superbikes were 110hp 750s, so probably a 750-900 twin or 600 four is similar today, when superbikes are at 160+hp.
              More importantly, the hawk had way over spec parts for its design niche (specifically the chassis), which is why it was so expensive back then and why it didn't sell well when new.

Probably the CB650 naked is pretty close, unless we're looking only at twins, in which case the FZ07 is the new hawk. The KTM 890 really has my attention if I ever think I'll need a hawk replacement.

In any case, it’s not looking good for this bike, but we’ll see!

Comment

Originally Posted by riot View Post
                Probably the CB650 naked is pretty close
                Yep...

CB650.jpg

Comment

supposed to be a 750 coming too

Comment

Boy, it really depends on what you say is the defining character of the Hawk.

The big key points would be:
                    • Naked standard
                    • Street oriented (torquey) motor
                    • Advanced chassis (light & nimble)
                    • Low cost (at least nowadays)
                    Recall that the hawk was a middleweight when the superbikes were 110hp 750s, so probably a 750-900 twin or 600 four is similar today, when superbikes are at 160+hp.
                    More importantly, the hawk had way over spec parts for its design niche (specifically the chassis), which is why it was so expensive back then and why it didn't sell well when new.

Probably the CB650 naked is pretty close, unless we're looking only at twins, in which case the FZ07 is the new hawk. The KTM 890 really has my attention if I ever think I'll need a hawk replacement.

In any case, it’s not looking good for this bike, but we’ll see!
                    When the hawk came out, what other bikes that where out at the time where anything like it? as far as i know not much.

What other bikes are like the cb650? I'm not super up to date on the market, but it seems to me at a glance around there are a lot.

The market is saturated with good options these days. Plenty of good, sensible, bland, over styled options.

The hawk stuck out in 88. hows it do that now?

Comment

750 motor being used in a new transalp too - never liked paranoid twins much - hated the yam trx 850 - handled funny - top heavy wobbler - same as my ducati st2 the way they both handled - vague and not connected to the road
                      all paranoid twins I rode felt like a gutless vibrating four - suzie gs 500, ducati 500 (not a pantah), kawa 500 and 650, honda cb 400 (the holy hand grenade)

norton commando, triumph old and new bonnie

two stroke paranoid twins were a diff matter (yam LC/RZs)

my nephew bought a new yam twin - he loves it - yet to ride it, same for the aprilia 660 - curious - but at $20k oz pesos, bit expensive

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

When the hawk came out, what other bikes that where out at the time where anything like it? as far as i know not much.

i have a cagiva 650 (ducati pantah 650) that cost me $4k - same price as my first bros/hawk that I have

pantah 48 hp
                        bros 46 hp

alleged by manufacturer

seat of pants dyno

they feel pretty much the same

love them both and not selling either

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

What other bikes are like the cb650? I'm not super up to date on the market, but it seems to me at a glance around there are a lot.

The market is saturated with good options these days. Plenty of good, sensible, bland, over styled options.

The hawk stuck out in 88. hows it do that now?
                          Yeah, I think the CB650 fits the mission or virtues of the hawk, but it will never be as unique if that is the criteria.

Again, it really is the advanced frame that makes the bike (surely not the cruiser engine, or the cheap suspension). In 88 the only bikes with an alloy perimeter frame were super bikes and gp bikes. Combine it with the SSSA and naked styling and it was def a revolution.

But recognize that age does add character to all bikes. RD350s were supposedly throw away bikes in the 70s and now they’re downright sought after. My SC28 CBR must be unique as hell, as I haven’t seen one in years, and I can tell you finding some of the parts for it has been a whore! Both of those bikes used to be everywhere.

I am probably also the worst person to ask as well, because I don’t have much love for a stock hawk anymore either. Upgrade the suspension, brakes, exhaust and rear sets, then we’re talking.

Comment

I am probably also the worst person to ask as well, because I don’t have much love for a stock hawk anymore either. Upgrade the suspension, brakes, exhaust and rear sets, then we’re talking.
                            Ya, Kurlon pointed this out not long ago. We all have a slightly warped view of what the hawk is/was because we are all used to riding bikes that we consider"stock" but at minimum have $1000 shocks, $300 in the forks, $150 in the brakes, $125 in/on the carbs and most have a $400 exhaust.. That's what we consider a nice stock hawk.

Yeah, I think the CB650 fits the mission or virtues of the hawk, but it will never be as unique if that is the criteria.

Again, it really is the advanced frame that makes the bike (surely not the cruiser engine, or the cheap suspension). In 88 the only bikes with an alloy perimeter frame were super bikes and gp bikes. Combine it with the SSSA and naked styling and it was def a revolution.
                            What makes the hawk to me, a large chunk of it is that it was innovative for the time. The frame and the sssa where cool and different.

What I personally love about the hawk, it responds fantastically to modifications, it's simple, it's styling is understated, it can out preform more expensive and newer bikes when done right.

And again.. It's simple, a genuinely simple motorcycle that benefits from its simplicity.

It's DIFFERENT. Genuinely different from almost everything else. It was different enough to spawn a community that lasted 30+ years.

That's just MY criteria and I don't see how you meet that these days.

Comment

New hawk would be a capable frame, sportier than most, v twin that has a simple fi setup and puts out more than 50hp, sssa, understated sleek design, modern suspension..

The hawk gt with all its features but built with modern shit to give modern performance, and still looking like the original hawk gt, but updated.

If you could not take the badges off, sit the two bikes next to eachother and have the average person notice without question they are different evolutions of the same bike, no dice.

That kid on Instagram built the closest looking thing I have seen to what it could be.

Comment

Working...
                              X