Like I needed more projects right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like I needed more projects right now.

Trying to finish the 1990 VFR flip (Winter Project Winner).
    RC26 is getting "new" forks, different calipers and wheels with new rubber.
    88 Hawk RestoMod getting new subframe, wheels painted with new rubber, and the RC26 calipers. And a new clutch likely.
    VTR250 Project is in the outer shop to start getting it's frame and swingarm prepped for paint.
    Can't keep my hands off my newly acquired 1992 VFR750F ($500!!!)
    CBR600F3 carb clean to see if the engine is sellable. Got it free for the suspension and wheels.
    Finish the clutch on the CA77 305 Dream.
    Wrap up the handlebar swap on the S65.

So... in a moment of weakness, I fucking rolled the CB-1 on the lift and pulled the carbs!

PXL_20220414_012506424.jpg PXL_20220414_014514053.jpg PXL_20220414_014502792.jpg
    Last year when I brought it of of Winter Storage the carbs leaked. I suspect the fuel tube orings and/or the float bowl gaskets. My money is on the fuel tube o-rings. Got one bowl off already and the float bowl oring looked pretty good.

It's also getting it's Sudco 4-1 exhaust back and new rubber. Needs to be ridden this year.
    Last edited by Captain 80s; 04-14-2022, 10:56 AM.
    "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

What a clean looking bike. Very cool

Comment

The first step is admitting you have a problem..

Or so ive heard.
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I repeated the First Step over and over on my way to pick up another VFR last Sunday.

PXL_20220410_214910561.jpg
        1992 VFR750F. Title. 50K. ALL there with a Works Performance shock, Hondaline Center Stand and Helibars. $500

Comment

Captain 80s where do you typically find these bikes? Nice find, post pictures please when you start work on her.

Comment

Originally Posted by Captain 80s View Post
            I repeated the First Step over and over on my way to pick up another VFR last Sunday.

PXL_20220410_214910561.jpg
            1992 VFR750F. Title. 50K. ALL there with a Works Performance shock, Hondaline Center Stand and Helibars. $500
            I can help you here. It's my duty as a friend. Really consider me a "sponsor".

I'll take that one, I'll take the hit for you. But just this time!

Comment

Originally Posted by harpo View Post
              Captain 80s where do you typically find these bikes? Nice find, post pictures please when you start work on her.
              The last two have been on OfferUp. The 1990 was just lucky. Saw the post very early and was in a position to act two days before Christmas. This 1992 I've been working on for months. The ad was originally for $1600, runs great. Finally after seeing it there FOREVER I inquired about it. Well... it likely needs a carb clean. Asked if he has worked on V4 carbs and he said he is familiar with rebuilding carbs. Well, he was. Just not V4 carbs. Some back and forth genuinely just offering advice, cuz there was no way I was paying $1600 for it (even though it was probably worth it, or close). He also stated the fuel pump is bad but he got it running without it. The ad has been down now for weeks, thought he might have sold it. Last week I decide to text him, "So, did you sell the VFR?"

"Pick a day to come and look at it."

So I did. About an hour drive on Sunday morning with zero traffic. Get there and he's got the airbox off and a can of Starting Fluid. It was the best sight I could have hoped for. He's tries cranking on a low battery and spraying but not much is happening, except that I can hear a motor spinning over nicely not making any weird noises. Tabs are 2020. I just tap him on the shoulder, and say, "don't worry about it. It's cool."

"It runs".

I said I believe you, it has just sat a bit too long. He's an older guy and is SUPER cool and nice. "Why do you have this VFR?" It was his Brother-in-law's who died. OK... now everything is making more sense. "Well this is a project. What are you thinking price wise?"

"Give me a number."

I's like to be in this at $500. (I almost said $700)

"That's the number I thought you were gonna say. Let's start loading it."

Tank is SPOTLESS inside. No missing trim pieces which are impossible to find. This is a keeper for RestoMod.
              Last edited by Captain 80s; 04-14-2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Captain 80s , awesome story! So cool to find the bike original with all the parts. Its really a win/win I think. The bike needs lots of attention that you can give, and the guy really wanted to move on and move the bike.

Comment

Originally Posted by harpo View Post
                  Captain 80s , awesome story! So cool to find the bike original with all the parts. Its really a win/win I think. The bike needs lots of attention that you can give, and the guy really wanted to move on and move the bike.
                  There is no better situation than when someone has a project that they won't complete and they hand it off to someone who actually will.

The great tragic story of the gear head is that guy on your block with the slowly decaying 70' AMX in his side yard who won't let it go because he is "gonna fix'er up some day.".

Comment

Project row...

PXL_20220416_232929579[1].jpg

Comment

I'm impressed. I have two projects, my hawk and a harley/norton, then my rider(which I still mess with). I feel overwhelmed and entirely confused when sorting them all out. I cannot imagine having that many projects! But il say if I had that much room, I definitely would have that many projects

Comment

Originally Posted by Captain 80s View Post
                        Good news... You don't have to worry about being bored... Or having any pesky extra money any time soon.

Comment

Ha, nice lot of bikes. If I had that many projects I wouldn't be married anymore. The Hawk alone is straining that now LOL, and that bike isn't even for me.

Comment

Carbs split to replace fuel crossover and breather o-rings. I have those but I need to order float bowl o-rings right now.

PXL_20220422_005308981.jpg
                            Might up the pilots to 38 from 35, but leaving the mains. Need to verify if I shimmed the needles when I first built the bike.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Good news... You don't have to worry about being bored... Or having any pesky extra money any time soon.
                              Impressive work space, clean and organized for so much going on. That setup with the lift looks very pro!

Comment

Working...
                              X