Attn: Mid Atlantic Hawk Trackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attn: Mid Atlantic Hawk Trackers

As part of my quest to give my machine what it wants I'm committing myself to at least one track weekend this season. Right now I'm looking at going to VIR with team pro-motion on Memorial day weekend. Patriot course on Sunday and South course on Monday. If anyone else in the area is interested it be awesome to see some other hawks out there.

Also, what are the going rates with the various organizers and tracks you guys frequent. The weekend I mention above will run me 190 for the patriot and 200 for the south. Plus renting leathers and boots throws me up to $570 total And tires too

Comment

$250 for the day at www.tonystrackdays.com

Unless you get a deal, You can usually go for under $200

That is if you have all your gear and such...
      BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
      Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
      "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Man the Patriot track is pretty tight, more of a supermoto style..

I ran the South (and North) last year on a borrowed ZX-6, as my raceHawk was apart. I'll tell ya what, you are going to have to pack a lunch for the straightaway on South if you are riding a Hawk, especially a stock'ish one. That baby is LONG. Think I was getting to about 160-170 on the ZX.

You'll have fun thou, I'm doing North for 2 days in April.. can't friggin wait. On my new RMZ450 supermoto this time
        CVMA Expert 434
        LD Designs :: Pirelli :: Racer's Edge :: Woodcraft :: Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

Comment

Thanks for the input Alex. I was thinking of going up two teeth in the rear for the patriot and since its my first track day I'm guessing the beginner group won't be scorching the straights on the south course.

Comment

Originally Posted by LeftRightLeftThrottle
            Thanks for the input Alex. I was thinking of going up two teeth in the rear for the patriot and since its my first track day I'm guessing the beginner group won't be scorching the straights on the south course.
            from what i understand at every track.... the straights are the only place where the beginners actually go fast.

Comment

Well I hope the track coaches let me have lots of space in the corners cuz beginners can't pass and even though I'm a novice, I remember the mountains and my Hawk loves to carry corner speed.

Comment

I suppose I'm a little spoiled since STT gives discounts to women, but many of their dates are $125 per day (I think it's $150-$170 for the guys?). Road America is usually the most expensive track to run around here, and that's usually $160-$180 per day depending on the org. Lots of local groups/club offer discount days for $100-$140.

Buell is running a program this year of trackdays at big tracks all over the country, all dates are $150, cept for the small tracks like Autobahn which is $100. All makes and models of bikes welcome... it's not just for Buells.

If there's no passing in beginner, and if you're "on your own" in the sessions (unlike STT or a school) get to be friends with the hot pit lane. You will inevitably be surrounded by people on higher horsepower bikes who will haul ass on the straights and park it in the corners. SUPER ANNOYING. If you can't pass, pull off in the hot pit lane and wait for clear track, or slow down a little on straights to let everyone else get a bit ahead of you, and then spend the rest of the lap catching back up to them.

Unfortunately if you're in specific class groupings within Novice/Beginner, you can't do this, and if you get stuck behind an asshat on a liter bike who can't figure out how to turn/carry any kind of corner speed, you'll be stuck until the order of your group gets moved around.
                '88 Hawk - Street '89 Hawk - Track '67 Fiat 500 - Luigi follow only the Ferraris

Comment

Originally Posted by sockmonkey
                  Buell is running a program this year of trackdays at big tracks all over the country, all dates are $150, cept for the small tracks like Autobahn which is $100. All makes and models of bikes welcome... it's not just for Buells..

Yup yup. My buddy is running those for Buell and I'll be a Control Rider at a few of them.

Hey make sure you get some pics of you coming around the Oak Tree Turn on the South course, it's a historic corner with a big dope tree on the inside of it. Looks sweet.
                  CVMA Expert 434

Comment

You know Leon? Small world! (I don't know him that well, but I've been to a pile of PTT days.)
                    (Our biggest clients are H-D/Buell, we actually did all the promo design for the program)
                    '88 Hawk - Street '89 Hawk - Track '67 Fiat 500 - Luigi follow only the Ferraris

Comment

Nah I know Kreig Robinson, who knows Buell and Leon.
                      CVMA Expert 434

Comment

Ah! Cool!
                        Are you just CRing on the East Coast?

Unfortunately the only one I'll get to do is Road America in October with some cow-orkers.

By that time I'll be sick of RA after potentially riding there 7 days out of 10 in July. (Ok, I'll probably never be sick of that track, but as you said of the other track, on a Hawk, might as well pack a lunch for the trip up the front straight, and from turn 3 to turn 5.... that a loooot of going straight. Some of that is made up by the carousel, you're leaned over FOREVER, but damn, some parts you can fall asleep.)

Comment

Originally Posted by sockmonkey
                          You know Leon? Small world! (I don't know him that well, but I've been to a pile of PTT days.)
                          (Our biggest clients are H-D/Buell, we actually did all the promo design for the program)
                          Well I know Leon now! Spent 1.5 days down at Barber two weeks ago with him for the first Buell Inside Pass trackday. I ended up riding his bike all day as the Control Rider Captain of the Intermediate Group. Leon's a good guy. He wanted me to come to all the Buell dates to Control Ride but with my new job and schedule, that might be tough.

Probably make the Willow and Laguna rounds at least however.

Barber Buell floggin.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/galler...12&ppuser=1205

http://www.nestreetriders.com/galler...13&ppuser=1205
                          CVMA Expert 434

Comment

Switched track dates, I'll be doing VIR South on June 2nd and 3rd

Comment

Working...
                            X