Need Help. Not sure what I've got here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help. Not sure what I've got here.

Help! I picked up a track-ready 1988 Franken-Hawk track bike along with one complete 1989 parts bike, 3 tubs of parts. and a stack of tires from a buddy. He said the bike had been setting for 3 years but was stored properly. Told me to take it and see if I could get it to run and we'd talk about a selling price if it did.

Bike reportedly has a 700 Wiseco kit w/ about 25 hours (10 or 12 races). Tank was shiny inside so I added fuel and put a battery tendor on it. Fired right off the next day. Idled great and sounded great so what the hell . . . I haul off down the road. This thing is a beast. BEAST. Low-end grunt like I've never felt. Handles really well - has a F-2 or F-3 CBR front end w/ dual disks and braded lines. Has a steering stabilizer as well. Turn radius is almost zero. Also has a fox shock on the rear. No lights whatsoever. Has a battery and electrical but no key - just an on / off toggle. Has a very rough shark skinz RC body kit. The bike starts every time and runs really well for about 25 - 30 minutes.

Problems . . . seems like it might be overheating a bit after 30 minutes of riding. Starts popping and backfiring at 7K RPM. Almost like detonation or a rev limiter or something. Not sure it was meant to run 30 minutes or for anything more than sprint events?? It has a temp gauge and tach (redline shows 9k). No other gauges. Temp doesn't come up til it's run for 10 minutes or so. After 30 minutes, the carbs seem sluggish and not as responsive as at cooler temps and the idle takes on a different personality. Tends to die without throttle and no longer idles well. Heat guage never indicates hot but seems to fluctuate a lot between low-middle and high-middle range temps. Fluid level in overflow looks fine. Added a little water and water wetter to make sure it had coolant. The bike leaks a little fuel - 1 drop every 30 seconds. Appears to be coming from carb on right side.

Do I need to rebuild the Keihin carbs? Does it need a bigger radiator? Could I be having some thermostat issues? I'd like to ride this thing at some track days but will mostly do illegal and infrequent 1 hour rides on curvy isolated roads here in Arkansas. Would appreciate any feedback as to how to make this a good realiable bike for local rides and the ocasional track day. I have some limited mechanical experience and can probably handle some / most of the work myself.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Zim

It sounds like more trouble than its worth, let me take it off your hands and save you the hours of frustration spent in vain trying to solve these issues...
    Mike/Kilter
    They smile because I'm different--I laugh because they are all the same

Comment

SOudns for sure liek the carbs need some work.

If tyhe bike was sitting for 3 years it will need a tune up to get all the gunk out. If you're not all that familiar with mechanics take it to one. Have them do the spark plugs, valves, change the oil clean the carbs and all that.

I dunno abotut he radiator issue, but if it's over heating you may wat a bigger radiator, is that the stock hawk one on there? good luck

Comment

Radiator is stock . . . as for taking it to a mechanic that's probably great advice that I'll follow. It really is a cool machine that someone has spent serious time and money on. Probably best that getting started, it goes to a qualified tech for a once-over.

If / when my digital camera resurfaces, I'll post some shots.

Zim

Comment

Good advice there and I agree...

Sounds like we need to road trip to Arkansas to work on your bike.

The carbs are not at all hard to clean and tinker with, the hardest part is pulling them off the bike (don't be afraid to PULL!)

I have a 700 motor in my bike and I am told it needs a bigger radiator, I have had NO problems with the bike overheating.

I would certainly clean and tune the carbs, while you there look in the inlets and see if you can tell if it has been ported. Also pull off the valve cover and look at the Cam, there should be markings on the inside of the sprocket telling you what you got (153x1...)

Pics would be great!

You say you have 2? I am with Mike... Sell it and save the heartache ( I know a guy looking for parts)
          BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
          Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
          "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

I'm waiting for JD to weigh in on this one...
            1988 "BlackHawk" project
            1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
            1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
            People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

I am sure he is lurking.

Comment

I'm wondering if the charging system is installed and/or working. Classic signs of a charging problem/low battery/bad ground are cutting out at gradually lower and lower rpm's, tach and temp needles fluctuate wildly, poor idle, etc. Do you have to jump it everytime you ride it?

<back to lurk mode>

Hord
                J.D. Hord
                Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

I only charged the battery one night. I've started it 1/2 dozen times but it fires up without turning over much so I haven't noticed the starter dragging. I've ridden it about 1.5 hours total so that might be plenty of time for fuel pump and starter to drain the charge. Battery might be shot from age?? I have not had to jump it at all.

I think the fuel leak was coming from the petcock and running down the lines and off the carb.

I found my camera and took some photos but it looks like I can't post them here. I'll see if I can get them uploaded someplace and provide a link.

I appreciate all the response and feedback. A little piece of mind knowing y'all are here. I don't have time or money to run to the mechanic with every little hang nail. Will have to take responsibility for as much as I can.

Thanks,
                  Pat

Comment

WWW.photobucket.com

Comment

or use imageshack.
                      1988 "BlackHawk" project
                      1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
                      1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
                      People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Thanks for the Photo Bucket tip. Here are a few of the pictures. I put the charger on the bike tonight. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/patzim/Hawk1.jpg
                        http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/patzim/Hawk2.jpg
                        http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/patzim/Hawk3.jpg
                        http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/patzim/Hawk4.jpg
                        http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/IMG_1822.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X