X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

William Dunlop Gone.

You just gotta feel for Michael.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...practice-crash
    Motorcycling Motorcycle racer William Dunlop dies after crash in Skerries 100 practice

• 32-year-old dies after ‘tragic accident’ in County Dublin
    • Dunlop’s father and uncle also died in racing accidents

Observer sport and Press Association

William Dunlop has died at the age of 32 after a crash during practice for the Skerries 100 race.
    William Dunlop has died at the age of 32 after a crash during practice for the Skerries 100 race. Photograph: Mark Kerton/Action Plus via Getty Images
    The Northern Ireland road racer William Dunlop has died after a crash during practice for the Skerries 100 in County Dublin.

The 32-year-old rider from Ballymoney, County Antrim, was a member of the Dunlop dynasty of racing greats and a repeat winner of the North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix.

Read more
    Tragedy has struck the Dunlop family before; his father Robert died as a result of an accident at the North West 200 in 2008 and his uncle Joey was killed racing in Estonia in 2000. Last month, William missed the Isle of Man TT to be with his pregnant partner, Janine.

Racing fans posted tributes on social media to “a big talent and lovely man” who will leave behind a “massive hole in the sport”.

“Extremely saddened to hear of William’s passing today,” Superbike racer Glenn Irwin wrote on Twitter. “A true gent and true talent. So humble that I’m sure he didn’t even realise how good he was. Was an honour to race with you.”

“So sad to hear of the tragic passing of the hugely talented William Dunlop,” wrote the former boxing world champion, Barry McGuigan. “RIP, deepest sympathies to his wife and family.”

Dunlop enjoyed a distinguished career on Ireland’s national road racing scene, accumulating some 108 wins, including four victories at the North West 200 and seven at the Ulster Grand Prix since beginning his career in 2000.

A statement released by the the Skerries 100 organisers, said they “deeply regret” to announce he “passed away following injuries received in a tragic accident”. “The Loughshinny Motorcycle Supporters Club extends their heartfelt sympathy to William Dunlop’s family and friends,” the statement added. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this very sad time.”

Since you’re here…

... we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading The Guardian than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help.

The Guardian is editorially independent, meaning we set our own agenda. Our journalism remains truly independent – free from commercial influence and shareholder bias. No one edits our Editor. No one steers our opinion. The Guardian’s independent, investigative reporting takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.

If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as $1, you can support the Guardian – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

Support The Guardian

Topics
    Last edited by 6; 1 Week Ago.
    Originally Posted by ParcNHawk
    Aren't they sometimes named after people who've had spectacular crashes there? Don't worry, dude; almost every track has a "turn 6."

Better than i a basement with a needle in his arm.... And in fairness im not sure there is a better way to go.

Though that does show me one thing, when you think your done your done. If you even have the though that it may not be worth it and are thinking of retiring, be it age, kids, fear, lack or desire, whatever, just call it yo.
    Originally Posted by ParcNHawk
    Aren't they sometimes named after people who've had spectacular crashes there? Don't worry, dude; almost every track has a "turn 6."

Comment

It's been a bad year for deaths on the roads, James Cowton died at the southern 100 this weekend with Ivan Lintin in a very serious condition too, on a ventilator.
      Personally I can't reconcile the risks of road racing, I don't watch it any more, I don't want to be part of a sport which carries such a high risk of death, I have to take the sport as a whole, and as much as I enjoy seeing people with incredible skills, it doesn't outweigh the risks. Even racers feel like that sometimes; a guy I knew was telling a friend of mine that 201 would be his last TT as he was packing up and going out there, for the sake of his wife & kids. Unfortunately he didn't get to end on his own terms.
      In the garage at the moment:

'89 Bros 680
      '09 Daytona 675

Comment

A true Gladiator. RIP!
        Jeremy
        '88 grey

Honda Hawk GT NT650...photo blog
        "...you gonna bark all day little doggie. . .or are you gonna bite?"

Comment

Working...
        X