Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track bike rev counters

Hey folks.
    What are people using for rev counters (anyone see me trying to avoid any taco related jokes here?) on their track/race bikes here?
    I was half-planning on using the stock one on my build but I'm not sure if it is in some way dependent on the stock ECU, which is getting switched out for an Ignitech unit. (not the plug'n'play one)
    The other half of me was not planning at all.... and that guy tends to waste money without doing his homework and would probably try to buy a scitsu one.... but which one.... there are so many.
    I know I could go ebay-cheap with a pick-up on a plug lead, but I want this to be a NICE bike.
    Think I've got a Healtech MM5 kicking around for the 'other stuff' I need to know, and the Ignitech will handle the shift light.
    Also what'd everyones 650's revving to out there, modified or not.

Anyone used these?
    https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/ga...hift-light-p36

Comment

Koso makes decent stuff.....tach and temp are a good combo... streetclothes 002.JPG GPS.lap timer a plus...

Comment

Thanks BTT,
        10K dial should be enough to factor in most Hawk tuning ambitions shouldn't it?

Comment

Originally Posted by Don View Post
          Thanks BTT,
          10K dial should be enough to factor in most Hawk tuning ambitions shouldn't it?
          Yup.That was my thought considering the 9300 prm stock rev limiter and the fact that only one tuning scenario exceeds 10k in Hawkworld.Billet crank/fcrs/and no flywheel.Rev engine.Still a grenade even with a billet crank.

Comment

I don't use one on my race or street hawks. Most of the hawk racers i know don't either. Hawk is VERY easy to shift based on feel/sound.

I have plenty of wins under my belt, never had one on a hawk. Its a nicety.

I use them on other race bikes, hawk doesn't need it.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I agree that sound is much better than looking at the tach while riding on my track days... sure would be nice to have telemetry logged for after each session though. but I digress.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
                I don't use one on my race or street hawks. Most of the hawk racers i know don't either. Hawk is VERY easy to shift based on feel/sound.

I have plenty of wins under my belt, never had one on a hawk. Its a nicety.

I use them on other race bikes, hawk doesn't need it.
                When I'm riding....I never use it.Tuning and dyno.It runs out of steam before the limiter anyway....you're not gonna get more....shift or tuck The only tach I could even SEE at speed would be the one El Capitan had.Great big dial.

Comment

Cheers fellas. Also don't ride bikes to stare at dials so know what you're saying there. I have been guilty of mechanically over-sympathetic at times, so don't want to give myself any excuses. I rebuilt an old Velocette Viper a while back, but before I fitted a tacho to that I just didn't get the best out of it as didn't know what it was capable of, or what 7200rpm sounded like, cos how can you know? And once I knew, I never paid much attention to it again. By the time I get back on my 650 it will be a different bike, and it will have been over a year since I rode it last. I guess on the Hawk I could just use the rev limiter, but then I'd sound like a dickhead. Managed to find a 2nd hand Koso for 40

Comment

Originally Posted by Don View Post
                    Cheers fellas. Also don't ride bikes to stare at dials so know what you're saying there. I have been guilty of mechanically over-sympathetic at times, so don't want to give myself any excuses. I rebuilt an old Velocette Viper a while back, but before I fitted a tacho to that I just didn't get the best out of it as didn't know what it was capable of, or what 7200rpm sounded like, cos how can you know? And once I knew, I never paid much attention to it again. By the time I get back on my 650 it will be a different bike, and it will have been over a year since I rode it last. I guess on the Hawk I could just use the rev limiter, but then I'd sound like a dickhead. Managed to find a 2nd hand Koso for 40
                    You can feel it. Like bill said, it runs out of steam before the limiter. You will learn to shift right before it starts to run out of steam. You'll get used to it pretty fast.

If you want one cause you want one, that's another thing. Go for it. BUt if you want one to help you get aroud the track skip it.

This isnt just me talking. Gino was having this same conversation with Rick about his tach the other day. Gino doesn't use one. . Rick is learning to race, Gino is the last guy to have won a national championship on a hawk.
                    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X