Race tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Race tires

Looking for recommendations for DOT race tires.
    Just finished the bike and have a track day to sort it out before the AHRMA event at Laguna

Originally Posted by Marc Brown View Post
    Looking for recommendations for DOT race tires.
    Just finished the bike and have a track day to sort it out before the AHRMA event at Laguna
    Here is my opinion (I'm a Bridgestone guy threw and through. Bought and paid for.). I'd go and find out who is at your events, and what they sell and if you like the guys.. Most important thing is that you can get tires and support at the track on race weekends.

I'd also talk to the guys that ride those tracks on similar bikes and see what they are running. Helps to be able to get data and info from your fellow riders and racers.

I remember when all the guys in my garage (except me) went from Bridgestone to Pirelli. None of them ran good times or like the tires right out of the gate.
    Pirelli guys came over and worked with whomever swapped one-on-one through the course of the weekend. They worked on bike set up, pressures and even watched them ride. By the end of the weekends the guys like the new tires. All of them.

Changing tires changes set up. It changes a lot of things. And getting good support from your tire Guys can be as important as the tires.

Always use Bridgestone cuz they paid the biggest contingency money. So I had damn close to free tires most of the time... One of the big reasons I never swapped around, plus I liked them.

Lots of warning before they let go, real controllable when they started sliding.. the Pirelli tires always felt real squirmy to me it didn't give a lot of warning before they had had enough.. Dunlop's where always great no pay out though ... But that's just me, and tires change so rapidly even my tire info of a couple years ago is horrendously obsolete..

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

My faves have been the Pirelli SC1 or SC2 (depending on the track and temp) or Dunlop KR448 front and KR451 rear. The only think with KR451 is that it comes in a 165/55 which is better suited to a 5" rear. However, it will it will work on a stock 4.5" wheel.
      ASMA #139

Comment

I'm a long time Dunlop user, originally because the Trackday organizer is big Dunlop distributor and it's easy and convenient when at the track. Now I'm familiar and comfortable with them and continue to use them. I've tried the others in a pinch and was satisfied. First time out on the new to me Hawk I used the Dunlop KR448 front and KR451 (165/55) rear and was very happy with them. My buddies have been using this set up for years. One key point is we all use tire warms. If you don't have warmers I would not use the Dunlop's. They are known to require a lot of heat.

Comment

I'm running the Pirelli SC2, they work great for me. Stickboy does the Bridgestone tires/ contingency and he will be at Laguna Seca, I also saw the Pirelli truck there last year also if you need anything.
          Marc I just signed up for Laguna, In SOT3 there are 6 racers and 3 are Hawks already. I bet Chuck comes too, would love to see 5 hawks on the grid. It should a great race and fun weekend.

Comment

I ended up going with Bridgestone R11's I've used them on my R3 and I figured I'd go with something familiar. I ordered them from Stickboy so I can get some help at the track if needed plus its good to support that dude! My buddy Wyatt runs the Pirelli's and he's crazy fast on those, but I think that's more rider then tire!

Comment

Originally Posted by Marc Brown View Post
              I ended up going with Bridgestone R11's I've used them on my R3 and I figured I'd go with something familiar. I ordered them from Stickboy so I can get some help at the track if needed plus its good to support that dude! My buddy Wyatt runs the Pirelli's and he's crazy fast on those, but I think that's more rider then tire!
              You see that go in waves. All the fast guys are on Dunlop's.. everyone gets Dunlop's, some dude shows up, or switches to stones, everyone goes and gets stones, dude wins on Pirelli.. and on and on.

I'm with you that's all rider. All these tires are so damn good today they're better than even most good racers can fully take advantage of.

Comment

What...no one likes Michelins?
                ANDY
                88 Hawk, 89 Hawk, 2001 SuperHawk
                Left Vegas, soon an Arkansan.

Comment

If you want a good DOT street/track tire either Dunlop Q3+ or the Q4+. The 3s will last longer but the 4s are super grippy. I have used both on my bikes and are a good DOT track tire.

Comment

6, it sounds like you and I have exactly opposite views of Bridgestones and Pirellis! I too was all Bridgestone all the time while Miles was carrying them, as I came up through the ranks of Novice and Am I basically never had to pay for tires, it was great. Then I went Expert, and Miles gave up on NHMS... so I tried Pirelli, and got along great with them. To me, the Bridgestones had more absolute grip, but no feedback, I ran on pure memory that I went at XX pace at YY point of the track, as long as I repeated that I didn't have to question the tires. Pushing further was a delicate process of hoping I'd catch the fail before it put me on my ass to learn just how far up the scale XX was at a given point of the track. The Pirellis on the other hand 'talked' to me in a way the 'stones never did, and I could tell you if I was at 50%, 80%, 90%, 95%, 98% of traction by what the bars and pegs were doing, and when I did exceed 100% it was always very predictable and controllable, never a surprise.

Now, I also had a small 'break' between Am and Ex status and tire transition due to a crash, and came back with more dirt/sumo time under me so my ability to read what was going on improved too, take that for what it's worth.

I 100% agree with your suggestion of finding out WHO is at the track providing support, as all the tires these days are pretty damn amazing so the real tie breaker is going to be the help you get above and beyond just mounting and balancing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
                      Bridgestones had more absolute grip, but no feedback, I ran on pure memory that I went at XX pace at YY point of the track, as long as I repeated that I didn't have to question the tires. Pushing further was a delicate process of hoping I'd catch the fail before it put me on my ass to learn just how far up the scale XX was at a given point of the track. The Pirellis on the other hand 'talked' to me in a way the 'stones never did, and I could tell you if I was at 50%, 80%, 90%, 95%, 98% of traction by what the bars and pegs were doing, and when I did exceed 100% it was always very predictable and controllable, never a surprise.
                      I'm not sure we are too far off. Just maybe using different wording while having different preferences.
                      ​​​​​​

What I call squirming you may call feedback. I felt when they squirming let go, so did the bike on the perilousies before I really got to what I was expecting for spin/slide. The Bridgestone would talk to me by letting go of the track, but by not too much, and most of the time not putting me on the ground when they did. Every time I got near the edge of the "squirm" with the pirellis it felt like it was just gone. Maybe with more time on them I'd learn their language better. Maybe not..

Now all that said, we are different riders on different bikes with different backgrounds and at different times. (We where on stones at the same time, but other than that).

If I go back to the track later this year or next I'ma rum whatever everyone else is.. for the reasons we mentioned above.

Moving away from Owego meant moving away from racing Speedway.. so the Speedway bikes getting sold (want to talk about controlling slide try one of those fucking things. I've got one for sale if you'd like) . Still have a race hawk.... And Loudon is now only an hour away.

Comment

Working...
                      X